Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

A trip to Edinburgh 10 years 10 months ago #11936

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
I have just returned from a short holiday to Scotland.
I stayed in a friends cottage in a town in the Scottish Borders Greenlaw which is about 10 miles away from Coldstream.
My main plan was to visit Edinburgh and visit the castle and to photograph the ABW memorials around the city.
My first stop was the memorial for the Black Watch which is situated on The Mound on the way to the castle.
Its location is in the middle of a busy four way road system so difficult to get a good photo, but with perseverance I managed :woohoo:

A superb memorial, one of my favourite's
www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/im...nits/534-black-watch

Next stop was the castle and the War Museum which is outstanding.
In here I was pleased to find a display to Major General Hector MacDonald.
There are several artifact's displayed about him, his original medal group is present and a marble bust.
The display is behind glass and quite dark so flash is useless, apologies for the pics.

Another display featured Major General Andrew Gilbert Wauchope, again his original medals were featured.

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A trip to Edinburgh 10 years 10 months ago #11937

• coldstream
Part two
In another part of the museum I found the very interesting piece about Lieutenant Colonel William Henry Dick-Cunyngham
A cross taken from his grave.

This is a really good museum with lots of ABW references, well worth a visit.
Also within the castle are two other Regimental museum to the www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/im...ots-lothian-regiment
And the www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/im...scots-greys-dragoons
Although smaller than the War museum they are still interesting.
After leaving the castle I found the memorial to the Scottish Horse, but sadly I was unable to get too close because the seating to the Edinburgh Military Tattoo was under construction.

Next stop was Princess Street to photograph the Scots Greys memorial.

A walk back to the Royal Mile to find St.Giles Catherdral which has some nice wall memorials.

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

A trip to Edinburgh 10 years 10 months ago #11938

• coldstream
Part three
St.Giles

This stained glass window is a memorial to Major General Andrew Gilbert Wauchope

A trip to Edinburgh 10 years 10 months ago #11939

• coldstream
Part four
On my way home I called into the museum at Coldstream which shows a history of the regiment.
Some interesting ABW pieces there including a decorated ostrich egg, unfortunately no photography allowed :(
Along the High St. I noticed a shop selling Army surplus so I thought I would take a look.
I was surprised to find it had quite a lot of interesting items on display and I was drawn to a Christmas card with a Hussar on horseback from the period.
I enquired if it was for sale, the owner then told me he had a museum downstairs with the QSA associated to the card.
It was a nice five bar with original paperwork and the original cap badge and to add to that was a superb CDV photo of the recipient.
Sadly it was not for sale :(
I was just about to leave after a good chat with the owner when I spotted this

I was told they were a pair but one had been stolen from the shop, I made an offer and am now the owner of a nice spelter bust of B-P
Not my most admired General but quite an iconic figure.

Well now I am back home after all the excitement, I hope you enjoyed the tales of my expedition :lol:

Paul :)
Attachments:

A trip to Edinburgh 10 years 10 months ago #11943

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Paul,

These were excellent. It sounds like you had a great time and even managed a purchase on the way back - surely the best way to end a holiday!?

I remember some years ago trying to tale some photos in the castle and being asked to desist. There was Robertson's Elandslaagte VC before me and I couldn't take a picture - agh!

With thanks
David
Dr David Biggins

A trip to Edinburgh 10 years 10 months ago #11945

• coldstream
David,

Did you mean these :woohoo:

djb wrote: Paul,

Again sorry for the poor quality :(

Paul :)

These were excellent. It sounds like you had a great time and even managed a purchase on the way back - surely the best way to end a holiday!?

I remember some years ago trying to tale some photos in the castle and being asked to desist. There was Robertson's Elandslaagte VC before me and I couldn't take a picture - agh!

With thanks
David

Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.650 seconds