TOPIC:

November 4th 12 years 4 months ago #1370

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
1899 - Wessels demands the surrender of Kimberley.

The text of the ultimstum:

Oliphantsfontein, District Boshof, Head Laager, Western Division Burgher Forces. November 4th, 1899.

To the Right Honourable the Officer Commanding the Troops and Magistrate, Kimberley.

Right Honourable Sir,

Whereas the Republics, the Orange Free State and the South African Republic, have been driven to war by the policy of Her Majesty's Government,

And whereas it is necessary for me to take possession of the town of Kimberley,

Therefore I demand of your honour :-

That upon receipt of this you, as commanding officer, shall forthwith hand over to me the town of Kimberley with all its troops and forts. In case your honour should determine not to comply with this demand, I hereby request your Honour to allow all women and children to leave Kimberley, so that they may be placed out of danger, and for this purpose your honour is granted time from noon on Saturday 4th November, 1899, to 6 a.m. on Monday, 6th November, 1899.

I further give notice that during that time I shall be ready to receive all Afrikander families who wish to remove from Kimberley, and also to offer liberty to depart in safety to all women and children of other nations desirous of leaving. If, however, my burgher forces are fired upon by your Honour before the expiration of the appointed time, I reserve to myself the right to defend myself with all the forces at my command.

(signed) C.J. Wessels, Head Commandant, Western Division, Orange Free State Burgher Forces.

Kekewich's reply:
Army Headquarters, Kimberley, 4th November, 1899.

From: Lieut. Col. R G Kekewich, Officer Commanding Griqualand West and Bechuanaland.

To: Head Commandant, The Western Division of the Burgher Force, Orange Free State, Bloemfontein.

Sir,

1. I have the honour to acknowledge the receipt of your letter, dated Olifantsfontein 4th November, 1899.
2. Your desire being to obtain possession of Kimberley, you are hereby invited to effect the occupation of this town as an operation of war by the employment of the military forces under your command.
3. I hereby give you notice that since the forces of the two Republics, now at war with Her Britannic Majesty, have in the present war made frequent use of the flag of truce (white flag) in a manner not recognised by the usages and customs of war as practised by civilised nations, I have in consequence instructed the officers of the forces under my command that from this date persons bearing white flags and approaching them are to be fired upon.

I have the honour to be, Sir, Your obedient servant,

(signed) R. G. KEKEWICH, Lt. Col., Commanding Griqualand West and Bechuanaland.

Kekewich's diary:

Enemy very active all day in all directions. A large number appeared to be attacking the Premier Mine, and did so just as a man of theirs had arrived with a flag of truce – the party of about 600 strong moved away to the North. The bearer of the flag of truce brought an ultimatum calling upon me to deliver up the town, and saying that women and children and Africanders could leave it – it is said that it would expire at 6 pm. On the 6th.

I answered it in the usual manner, and cautioned the commander that as he had attacked under a white flag, and as this had been done on many previous occasions elsewhere that I should in future fire on a white flag.

Enemy has formed a camp near Hull’s Farm; and appears to be throwing up a small work. I really have had no time, what with one thing and another, to write a diary, details of what has been going on will be found in my telegrams and other diaries.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

November 4th 8 years 3 months ago #44506

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From the diary of William Watson, Ladysmith, November 1899:

Women and non combatants ordered to leave the town. I look upon the notice as more a suggestion than an order. It is signed. A Hunter: a general belike. Well, we don’t mean to clear out. This is another reason for blessing Gladstone’s cowardice, and England’s delay. As soon as we leave our houses, everything will be stolen, or wantonly destroyed. The whole lot of people who still remain here, (hundreds fled three days since) are absolutely against leaving the town, and if they have to leave, it is on compulsion and I hereby record the fact. — A lot of troops rumoured to be on the way up. It is quite time they were, for we have lost all along the line up to this time, and the rebels are making their position as strong as Plevna. — No firing to day. Tomorrow the town is to be destroyed. This is a pretty state of affairs. We have allowed the Boers to arm themselves to the teeth, and now we call on them to surrender. It’s likely.

5 p.m. There has been a meeting in the town hall. The town council, it seems, asked Piet Joubert to allow them to send away the woman and children, or to let them have a part of the town, our town as sanctuary. This was refused, Joubert said, “No, why did they not fly, when they had the chance.” I think the town council humbled themselves too much, by asking the rebel’s forbearance. I dare say we shall be a good deal battered, for the rebels have got some more of the 40 pounder guns.

6 p.m. The latest report is, that every woman, child and non combatant is to clear out early tomorrow, to a spot three miles off. They will be fed by the government, and will have to help in the hospitals.
Dr David Biggins

November 4th 7 years 4 months ago #49489

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1899 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

Parade at 4 o’clock - dismissed at 6. Major Taunton’s funeral. Some 6 or 7 other graves had been prepared. Cemetery getting much too full. Fatigue duty up to dark.
Dr David Biggins

November 4th 7 years 4 months ago #49490

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1899 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

Another Armistice and such peace, perfect peace. We had visitors all the afternoon, Capt. Wales, Mr. Varty, Capt. Adams, Mr. Gorton and Fred Tatham, and they told us a letter had been sent to General Joubert asking him if we might send all our sick, wounded, women and children four miles out of town out of the line of fire to Indombi Spruit. His reply was:- "Respecting your request that the townspeople may be allowed to leave for the South, this I cannot possibly agree to. The wounded, with their Attendants and Doctors may as requested by you, be taken to a chosen place, and I shall agree that the people of the town shall also be removed there. The numbers of the Civilians must be communicated to me and the removals of the wounded and civilians must be effected within 24 hours of the receipt of this, and the locality must be distinctly marked. I must further make it a condition that under the name of civilian there must not be sent out any who have taken up arms against the Republic."

This extract of letter received at Ladysmith on 4th Nov. 1899 at 12 noon, so expires at 12 midnight tomorrow. Tonight we have had a big meeting as to whether we should go out with the Hospital or remain here. We have just finished our council meeting consisting of the family, viz. Aunt Fanny, Uncle George, Mama, Uncle William, Bert, Humphry, Ada and myself, and Dr. Hyslop, Dr. Currie, Mr. Pitchford, Mr. Carson, Mr. Normand, and Mr. Varty, and we came to the conclusion that the best to do was to go, if we could be of any assistance to the Nurses. Everyone expects Monday to be a fearful day.
Dr David Biggins

November 4th 7 years 4 months ago #49499

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
Thank you for your post, David. I have had the publication containing Bella Craw's diary for many years, and there was a time when I often looked through it. Something I missed since at that time I did not know the name, was the reference to 'Mr Gorton'. Could this be Trooper H C Gorton of the Imperial Light Horse and erstwhile Brewer at the Natal Brewery in Maritzburg? Perhaps not, since that Gorton had been seriously wounded at the Battle of Elandslaagte and, reportedly, he would not be released from hospital until late December/early January. Does anyone know of another Gorton who was besieged in Ladysmith?

Regards
Brett

November 4th 7 years 4 months ago #49503

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Brett,

There are 50 Gortons on the Ancestry list. Removing duplicates leaves this list, none of which jump out and say Ladysmith (with one exception of course!)

A Gorton Kaffrarian Rifles
C Gorton 2nd Battalion Wiltshire
D A Gorton 1st Battalion Port Elizabeth Guard
D A Gorton Steytlerville Town Guard
F Gorton South African Constabulary
F J Gorton A Division South African Constabulary
G Gorton 2nd Battalion Wiltshire
G M Gorton South African Light Horse
G R Gorton Kimberley Horse
H Gorton 2nd Battalion The King's Own Royal Lancaster Regiment
H Gorton 3rd Volunteer Company Loyal North Lancashire
H Gorton 3rd Volunteer Active Service Company North Lancashire
Henry Corbett Gorton 1st Imperial Light Horse
I Gorton First Battalion The Border
I Gorton 1st Border
J Gorton 2nd Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers
J Gorton AS Corps
J Gorton 3rd Loyal North Lancashire
J Gorton Army Service Corps
J Gorton A Company Army Service
J Gorton 3rd Battalion Loyal N Lancaster
J Gorton 2nd Lancashire Fusiliers
J B Gorton Dordrecht Town Guard
J J Gorton 58th Company 15th Battalion Imperial Yeomanry
J K Gorton 2nd Brabant's Horse
J K Gorton Ashburner's Light Horse
J K Gorton Western Light Horse
L Gorton St. John Ambulance Brigade
M W Gorton 3rd Company 1st Bal Ly
M W Gorton 3rd Company InfantryYeomanry
P M Gorton South African Light Horse
R St G Gorton Royal Garrison Artilllery
S Gorton 1st Border
T Gorton South African Light Horse
T Gorton 2nd Battalion Cheshire Regiment
T Gorton 2nd Battery Royal Field Artillery
T C Gorton B Company Cape Medical Staff
Thos Gorton South African Light Horse
W Gorton 6th Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers
Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.262 seconds