Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

November 4th 7 years 5 months ago #49509

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Thank you, David. I am amazed! I thought Gorton was an unusual name and appropriate for 'my man', who was also somewhat unusual. The Gorton mentioned by Bella Craw must have been well known to the family, perhaps a resident of Ladysmith or well known in Natal. The latter did apply to H C, the brewer of the ales that kept the inhabitants happy.

Regards
Brett

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

November 4th 6 years 2 months ago #57414

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
1899 - From the diary of Major George Tatham, Natal Carbineers

All quiet.
Dr David Biggins

November 4th 2 years 5 months ago #79616

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
Source: Diary of the siege of Mafeking by Edward Ross

Saturday 4 November 1899

The enemy commenced shelling very early this morning up to about 10 o’clock. From then till lunch-time, everything quiet, but in the afternoon Creetje again gave us an unwelcome visit at 7.30 p.m.

A diabolic scheme of the enemy was providentially frustrated this evening. The Boers had loaded a railway trolley with dynamite, and after putting on a time-fuse they started it down the railway incline into the town from the north. What would have happened had it reached the railway station is only conjecture, for when within a mile and a half from town it must have stuck on the rails for it then exploded, causing the whole town to shiver and shake, doors burst open, and windows rattled and broke, lights all went out, etc., and the idea seemed in every house that Creetje had sent a shell and it had burst immediately over every roof and household. Nobody for the moment of course knew what had happened, until the outposts from the quarter where the explosion occurred came in and reported that they had seen a big blaze of light on the railway and then the heavy concussion, they knew then what had happened. I believe the Boers thought this is a way they could retaliate for our sending out the dynamite truck.
Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.424 seconds