Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 6 months 2 weeks ago #92481

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541

A recommended read is Rob Davidson's book on the Spioenkep Campaign.

Described as:

After the defeat at Colenso, the Natal Field Force under General Buller needed to break through the Boer lines and relieve the besieged town of Ladysmith. Buller's army marched westwards, crossed the Tugela River at Trichardt's Drift and Potgieter's Drift, and from 17-27 January 1900 fought the Boers with artillery and infantry attacks. These significant and prolonged battles have largely been ignored because of the horror of Spion Kop (Spioenkop) on 24 January. Yet Spion Kop began as a small flank attack - only a tenth of the British force were initially involved, and only 300 Boers counter-attacked.

This book is the culmination of years of study, and correctly places Spioenkop in the context of the larger campaign. The author uses battlefield archaeology and eyewitness accounts of Boer and British participants to create a highly original and detailed account. This book also serves as a battlefield guide to Tabanyama and Spioenkop, providing detailed maps and numerous GPS locations.

www.amazon.co.uk/Spioenkop-Campaign-Batt...ysmith/dp/1804513318
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rob D, Moranthorse1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 6 months 2 weeks ago #92499

• Moranthorse1
  • Thank you received: 776
I have just ordered my copy of Rob Davidson's "Spieon Kop" account. Very much looking forward to reading and learning.
Amazon were out of stock, so I have gone direct to the publishers Helion and picked up a copy for £24.95 with free delivery. Currently offering a discount of a fiver to get it for this price, not stated when this offer ends and reverts back to full price of £29.95.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rob D

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 6 months 1 week ago #92587

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1883
I know that this book is not of our era but I found it quite interesting....... Picked up at I.W.M. during holidays...... There is a section on the Boer War and the Chocolate Boxes at the beginning to show where the WW1 Christmas Boxes came from...... Actually quite a good book and is recommended......

Mike

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 5 months 4 weeks ago #92733

• Rory
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2158
Got myself a copy of this in the post today - now to get stuck in between the ICC cricket matches.....

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rob D

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 4 months 2 weeks ago #93280

• Sturgy
  • Thank you received: 275
"Bullet in the Heart" by Beverley Roos-Muller; what a little gem.

So well written, thoughtful and insightful and highly recommended for anyone who is looking for a Boer perspective of life on Commando, as a POW or simply as a family trying to make ends meet during and after the war.

As an ex-South African I completely understand how sensitive these issues can be but I thought Beverly touched on each of these with dignity and respect.

Highly recommended and just to note that I have no affiliation with neither the author nor publisher.

Speak my name so that I may live again
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 4 months 2 weeks ago #93289

• Rory
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2158
I have the medals to the one brother, Christiaan Muller and have been trying to buy this book in the UK as he is often mentioned - where did you find your copy Sturgy?

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.427 seconds