Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Bizarre and curious casualties of the South Africa Field Force 2 years 2 months ago #81572

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1176

SWB wrote: Looking at the papers for Plumtree (nothing useful found), found a new cause - eczema. Interesting as eczema in itself is not fatal, but there must been a fatal complication arising - septicaemia? The casualty roll simply lists "disease".

Pte 13727 AE Southam RAMC 01-03-1901 Charlestown, Army & Navy Gazette 25-03-1901.

Private Arthur Edgar Southam's death is recorded as being caused by Necrosis.
I have refrained from posting an example of this horrific disease.

Necrosis is the death of body tissue. It occurs when too little blood flows to the tissue. This can be from injury, radiation, or chemicals. Necrosis cannot be reversed.
When large areas of tissue die due to a lack of blood supply, the condition is called gangrene.

Arthur was born in Sarisbury Hampshire in 1881. He worked as a fruit grower possibly on his father's farm. He joined the RAMC on the 23rd March 1900. He died at Charleston and is interred at Newcastle cemetery South Africa. I cannot imagine what Private Southam went through, after looking at some of the modern cases of this disease, but it was probably a godsend that he passed away aged 20yrs when he did.

Dave.....

PS....If you do feel the need to check out the images of Necrosis? Be warned, it is not for the faint hearted.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bizarre and curious casualties of the South Africa Field Force 2 years 2 months ago #81577

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1881

Dave F wrote:

SWB wrote: Looking at the papers for Plumtree (nothing useful found), found a new cause - eczema. Interesting as eczema in itself is not fatal, but there must been a fatal complication arising - septicaemia? The casualty roll simply lists "disease".

Pte 13727 AE Southam RAMC 01-03-1901 Charlestown, Army & Navy Gazette 25-03-1901.

Private Arthur Edgar Southam's death is recorded as being caused by Necrosis.
I have refrained from posting an example of this horrific disease.

Necrosis is the death of body tissue. It occurs when too little blood flows to the tissue. This can be from injury, radiation, or chemicals. Necrosis cannot be reversed.
When large areas of tissue die due to a lack of blood supply, the condition is called gangrene.

Arthur was born in Sarisbury Hampshire in 1881. He worked as a fruit grower possibly on his father's farm. He joined the RAMC on the 23rd March 1900. He died at Charleston and is interred at Newcastle cemetery South Africa. I cannot imagine what Private Southam went through, after looking at some of the modern cases of this disease, but it was probably a godsend that he passed away aged 20yrs when he did.

Dave.....

PS....If you do feel the need to check out the images of Necrosis? Be warned, it is not for the faint hearted.

Is this not also called quite appropriately, Flesh Eating Disease..... (Good thing they did not use that name on the casualty list, think what the NOK would have thought)
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Bizarre and curious casualties of the South Africa Field Force 2 years 2 months ago #81614

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1176
With reference to the one off list of reasons of recorded casualties .

Private 1604 James McDonald served with the Duke of Edinburgh's Own Volunteer Rifles. Unfortunately,  James died on Christmas day in 1901. He was 30 years old and passed away at 11 General Hospital Kimberley, with a strangulated hernia which caused shock.

Possible reason for Private McDonald's demise.
If a strangulated hernia is left untreated, the strangulated fold of tissue or small intestine will be cut off from its blood supply. It can become gangrenous within hours. As the tissue dies off, it releases dangerous toxins into the bloodstream. This can lead to sepsis, toxic shock and eventual death.

Private McDonald's medal roll entitlement has Cape Colony acknowledged.
Orange Free State and Transvaal have been crossed through.
There is slight confusion regarding the regimental number as there was another J McDonald in the same regiment with 2096, this number is recorded on the personal effects register along with 1604.
However on further research J McDonald 2096 went on to receive a KSA and served until 31st of May 1902. So, I'm reasonably confident that 1604 is the correct number for James McDonald.

Private McDonald's is buried at Kimberley West End Cemetery, monument 2.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Bizarre and curious casualties of the South Africa Field Force 2 years 2 months ago #81669

• Trev
  • Thank you received: 204
Hi Dave,

Thanks for giving me a warning before I decided to do a search of images for necrosis (gangrene). I would imagine it's not a pleasant way to die for any person.

The next casualty during the Boer War that I would like to talk about is 375 Trooper Bruce Harold May of the 5th South Australian Imperial Bushmen at Winburg, south of Johannesburg on the 7th September 1901. This type of accident is not an isolated incident during the course of the Boer War, as I could only imagine a number of soldiers on both sides being killed in action and/or off duty due to mishandling, or soldiers not knowing the readiness of their firearms.

(Adelaide Observer, Adelaide SA, Saturday 14 Sept, 1901)

Initial news received by the South Australian Governor, a couple days after the event, was that Trooper Bruce May was killed during rifle practice which was the story that the family come to believe, until a letter was received by Trooper May's sister a month later from Corporal Cockburn which outlined the fall of events that led to his death.

(Chronicle, Adelaide SA, Saturday 19 Oct, 1901)

(Bunyip, Gawler SA, Friday 13 Sept, 1901)

Trooper Bruce May is interred at the Winburg Old Cemetery, Free State, South Africa and is commemorated on a family memorial at Willaston General Cemetery, Gawler, South Australia.

South African War.
Lost his life at Winburg,
Aged 22 years.
---
Beloved Son of
Alfred and Mary May.

Trooper May is commemorated on the Adelaide Boer War memorial in North Terrace, King William St, Adelaide, South Australia

Trev
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F, Moranthorse1

Bizarre and curious casualties of the South Africa Field Force 2 years 2 months ago #81673

• Elmarie
  • Thank you received: 950
Winburg Cemetery

Elmarie Malherbe
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Bizarre and curious casualties of the South Africa Field Force 2 years 2 months ago #81674

• Elmarie
  • Thank you received: 950
Gawler Town Hall, Australia
Elmarie Malherbe
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1, Trev

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.976 seconds