Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Bizarre and curious casualties of the South Africa Field Force 2 years 2 months ago #81551

• Moranthorse1
  • Thank you received: 772
Evening all,
I have come across the following casualty:

6520 PRIVATE HENRY PLUMTREE:3RD BATTALION KINGS ROYAL RIFLE CORPS.
Murdered at Maritzburg on 3rd March 1901. Some casualty lists have his initial as 'V'. H for Henry on the medal rolls.
QSA: CAPE COLONY/TUGELA HEIGHTS/RELIEF OF LADYSMITH/SOUTH AFRICA 1901.
Findmypast tells us that he is commemorated on memorial plaque to the KRRC at Winchester Cathedral, Hampshire, England.
Does anyone with an interest in 'whodunnit' have any further information on the incident or whether anyone was ever convicted of foul play?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Trev

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bizarre and curious casualties of the South Africa Field Force 2 years 2 months ago #81559

• Trev
  • Thank you received: 204
Hi Steve,

I might be able to take this investigation one step further, but will still need someone to chime in to take us over the finish line.

With reference to 6520 Private H. Plumtree of the 3rd Battalion Kings Royal Rifles, the bit of information that I was able to find was that he died (indication was murdered) from a fractured skull and contusion of brain at Grey's hospital, Pietermaritzburg, Natal and he was aged 30 years. He was interned at Fort Napier Cemetery, Pietermaritzburg, South Africa.

The below document, which is not legible, is from Find a Grave which has been uploaded with regards to Private Plumtree. I believe that it may be either a medical report or death certificate. Can someone help me with more information about this paperwork, please?

He is also commemorated on the 3rd Battalion the King's Royal Rifle Corps Boer War memorial in Heidelberg Cemetery, Heidelberg, Gauteng, South Africa.

Trev
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F, Moranthorse1

Bizarre and curious casualties of the South Africa Field Force 2 years 2 months ago #81563

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1176
Hi Steve & Trev

I think the paperwork pertains to the Pietermaritzburg district registrar schedule.
The 3 entries are all reported by different signatories. However, the final sign off is by the same hand of the Deputy Registrar for the district.
As for the detective work on the murder of Henry / Harry Plumtree? I have very little to report.
I cross referenced Private Enright who was executed for murder, but cannot link him to Fort Napier. It is possible he was murdered by a local, but alas, no information to back that up. The only additional information I found was that Harry was born in Grimsby circa 1871/2, he was a labourer and he left his personal effects to his brother Fred.
We need the help of a newspaper archive expert who may be able to help with a trawl of local Lincolnshire papers which may shine a little light on Harry's purported murder.

Dave......
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1, Trev

Bizarre and curious casualties of the South Africa Field Force 2 years 2 months ago #81565

• Moranthorse1
  • Thank you received: 772
Trev and Dave F,
Thanks for your replies.
As you say, I think newspaper articles are our only chance now....
Cheers Steve

Bizarre and curious casualties of the South Africa Field Force 2 years 2 months ago #81568

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 453
The death certificates are from the National Archives of SA and available on FamilySearch.
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
The following user(s) said Thank You: Trev

Bizarre and curious casualties of the South Africa Field Force 2 years 2 months ago #81569

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 453
Looking at the papers for Plumtree (nothing useful found), found a new cause - eczema. Interesting as eczema in itself is not fatal, but there must been a fatal complication arising - septicaemia? The casualty roll simply lists "disease".

Pte 13727 AE Southam RAMC 01-03-1901 Charlestown, Army & Navy Gazette 25-03-1901.
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F, Moranthorse1

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.209 seconds