Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Bizarre and curious casualties of the South Africa Field Force 2 years 1 month ago #81284

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1165
Cheers Trev
A sad story indeed. I found Sgt Meyers under Sgt Myers in Watts... location recorded as Mutare.

Thanks again for your help Trev

Regards

Dave.....
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Trev

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bizarre and curious casualties of the South Africa Field Force 2 years 1 month ago #81289

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Trev
According to the Smith roll, "46 Sgt. Walter Myers, D Sqn., NSWCB" . born Otago, NZ on 11/6/77, horse trainer,. Point of enlistment, Araluen, NSW. Reverted to the ranks due to epileptic fit and ill health. Fell off train and died Umtali 24/4/1900. QSA medal bore single clasp "Rhodesia". ALH Studies provides a rather good portrait of Walter Myers - from the Sydney Mail, 3/3/1900.

Regards
IL.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK, Trev

Bizarre and curious casualties of the South Africa Field Force 2 years 1 month ago #81298

• Trev
  • Thank you received: 204
Hi Ian & Dave,

Thankyou both for following up with some more relevant information of Sgt. Myers. Dave, I'm glad that you were able to locate Walter's final resting place. I'm trying to locate an image to add, but having no luck so far.

Trev
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F

Bizarre and curious casualties of the South Africa Field Force 2 years 1 month ago #81301

• Elmarie
  • Thank you received: 939
Barberton Cemetery (Trooper S Smart)
Elmarie Malherbe
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F, Moranthorse1

Bizarre and curious casualties of the South Africa Field Force 2 years 1 month ago #81313

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1165
With reference to the two casualties who were killed in a brawl in Capetown on Monday the 4th of June 1900.

7622 Corporal Thomas Dicken/s 6th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment.

1101 Private Thomas Charles Bryan 6th Battalion Middlesex Regiment (Duke of Cambridge's Own)

Both soldiers were stationed at Greenpoint camp.
I am hoping that my learned colleagues can help piece together the events which led to this double killing?

Information so far is sketchy.  However here is what I have managed to find out.

Corporal Dicken was stabbed and died on Reibeek Street he was 40 years old and unmarried.  I am assuming that Private Bryan was also stabbed at the same time as Corporal Dicken?However,  it seems that Thomas was moved to Somerset Hospital where he died the same day of his injuries aged 22.

The assailant was recorded as Dominico Orleese? or Orebal?. He was found guilty on 2 counts of murder at Cape Town on the 31st July 1900.

I didn't find any personal effects record for either soldiers.
The medal rolls reflect that they were each entitled to a QSA with Cape Colony clasps.

Both soldiers were interred at Maitland Cemetery.

If at all possible,  I would be very grateful for additional newspaper  reports reference the incident.  I believe that the Black Country Bulge reported on the case. Also any information from South African papers which might have reported on the trial and info about the assailant Dominico, surname quoted may be wrong but it's all I could find.

As ever your help will be most welcomed and appreciated.

Regards

Dave....

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave

Bizarre and curious casualties of the South Africa Field Force 2 years 1 month ago #81314

• Moranthorse1
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 742
Hi Dave,
When was the incident covered in the Black Country Bugle? Was it at time or more recently?
There is a Thomas Dickens on the Dudley Boer War memorial, but the Roll of Honour says he was an Imperial Yeomanry man.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.932 seconds