Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Q Battery - Sanna's Post - the unsuccessful recommendations 3 years 5 months ago #72118

• Bicolboy59
  • Bicolboy59's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 67
Whilst answering a question from a forum member on the "Dark Side",in relation to the application of Rule 13 Victoria Cross warrant, I came across an article that was printed in the South African Military Historical Society Journal of 2001. It would appear from the authors research, that Lord Roberts made 3 more formal recommendations for the award of the VC over and above those 4 that were balloted by Q Battery.

Whilst I am still a novice(but learning on the run), this is a revelation. those recommendations still exist in the NA files pertaining to the Sanna's post awards and what is most interesting is that these 3 individuals actions must have been at a level that prompted Robert's to intercede by making recommendations over and above.

The 3 non Q Battery were:
Lt Maxwell 18th Bengal Lancers (successful after intercession by his sister at Court)
Lt Ainsworth DLI (unsuccessful)
Lt GMH Stirling 2/ Essex
Regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: NZMR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Q Battery - Sanna's Post - the unsuccessful recommendations 6 months 1 week ago #92021

• NZMR
  • Thank you received: 19
Hi - with regard to the nominations for awards for the rescue of the gun of Q Battery at Sanna's Post ( Korn Spruit) - does anyone have a copy of the WO 32/7878 file which contains them? I note there was (I think) a copy of the file with the DCM to Nolan which sold at the spectacular 2020 Henk Loots Collection auction at City Coins.

I am interested to see the specific recommendation(s) from Lord Roberts for the three additional Victoria Crosses as referred to in this thread.

Cheers

Phil

Q Battery - Sanna's Post - the unsuccessful recommendations 6 months 1 week ago #92023

• Bicolboy59
Whilst I do not have the item referenced, I do have in my research, a copy of the original hand written dispatch from Broadwood to Roberts which he rejected. The reason given by Broadwood in his correspondence to Chamberlain indicated the substance shows Broadwood in a poor light (and as such also to Roberts).

This despatch stated on page 7, that the 3 officers (Maxwell, Ainsworth and Stirling) assisted Q battery "Who, to a man, displayed conspicuous gallantry in retrieving the guns". The list contains 11 names (including the 3 above).

The despatch then goes on to recognise those "men who who risked their own lives to save their comrades under heavy fire".

This list contains a further 7 names ( none of which incidentally were members of the 1st NZMR)

It does include the 3 troopers from Roberts Horse 2 of which received the DCM and the 3rd being Chadwick was awarded the Queens Scarf. Murphy of course already a holder of the Congressional Medal of Honour..

The despatch concludes with Broadwood stating he is forwarding separately, "Forwarding detailed evidence in the case of such of the above as seem worthy of special consideration of the C- in C"

So from that we can glean that if not a despatch sent under separate cover, it is the evidence that Roberts needed to make a determination on various awards.

I have had a similar discussion with (Meurig amongst others) in relation to Rule 13, but I digress. If that correspondence survives then I am sure it will be somewhere in the NA but where I will leave to sharper minds than mine.

I have Nolan's pair in my collection together with the research that came with it. I am at present out of the country but upon my return will review what I have and report further.

I can tell you that what I do have is the hand written recommendation for Nolan which was written by Phipps - Hornby. I do not recall anything from Broadwood (apart from the above quoted) rejected despatch.

Regards

Simon
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, NZMR

Q Battery - Sanna's Post - the unsuccessful recommendations 6 months 1 week ago #92026

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Phil,

I am going to the Archives on 30 Sep and have requested that file so I will be back in touch.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: NZMR

Q Battery - Sanna's Post - the unsuccessful recommendations 6 months 1 week ago #92030

• NZMR
  • Thank you received: 19
Hi Simon and David,

Thank you very much for the replies - much appreciated. I have been researching Lt. W.J. Ainsworth CBE DSO, as a friend of mine here in New Zealand has his QSA (only, unfortunately). It's been a learning experience for me on the Clause 13 issue that the Sanna's Post action highlighted. I am usually a little suspicious when I hear people say "he was recommended for the VC", but in this case it appears true but I always wondered what the recommendation actually said. The mention of "detailed evidence" is intriguing, so your file reading will be very interesting David!

Cheers

Phil

Q Battery - Sanna's Post - the unsuccessful recommendations 6 months 1 week ago #92044

• Bicolboy59
Hi Phil,

Bear in mind that rule 13 only applied to Q Battery and not to the entire column. From memory it was last enacted during the Great Sepoy Mutiny and after Koornspruit, I think the next time was Zeebrugge.
In itself, there are many questions still to be answered examples of which are:
1. Was it really all of Q Battery ?
2. What was the window of time during the length of the day for someone to be considered eligible ?.
3. Was the balloting done with the inclusion of wounded and POW's ?
4. and if so, at what point would they have been seen to have been ineligible ?.
5. Who corresponded with Roberts on the use of the rule and who established & provided the list of names.

In regards to Nolan, and having read his recommendation, Phipps- Hornby VC must have felt Nolan was hard done by in receiving no mention (meaning singled out by Broadwood), no recommendation and then missing out in the ballot. This given Nolan was the first to volunteer each and every occasion that volunteers were called for to go out and attempt to retrieve the guns.
Like you, these are questions I need answering. hopefully when time permits next year, i will go over to the UK and try to find the answers, this years trip will be hit and run with no opportunity to spend time at the NA.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.433 seconds