Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

von KLEIST, BURGERSDORP TOWN GUARD, CHRISTMAS PRESENT 4 years 3 months ago #67392

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1879
Good Morning Everyone.....

I picked up (got) the following QSA as a Christmas Present, as my daughter had said I should find one I wanted and she would purchase it for me...…

I have a few questions that maybe a local from South Africa can answer for me.....

NAMED on MEDAL: _ VON KLEIST, R. _ NUMBER: _ 24 _ RANK: _ PRIVATE _
REGIMENT: __ BURGHERSDORP TOWN GUARD __
BARS/CLASPS: __ NONE __

I rec'd some information on him and a copy of the medal roll...… But I still have some questions...…

Robert Amiel Von Kleist born Burgersdorp in 1857, he had German/Dutch immigrant father and British mother, had two daughters and one son between 1905 and 1910. Died in Johannesburg, Gauteng, aged 63 in 1920,

1. Being born in 1857 he would have been 42 when the war started, was he to old for a Town Guard?
2. 48 and 53 years of age when he had children?
3. On the document that I have has the name as follows:

ROBERT AMIEL (EMIL) von KLEIST (Walterhofer)

I can imagine that he went by the name Emil, but what is the Walterhofer….?????

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

von KLEIST, BURGERSDORP TOWN GUARD, CHRISTMAS PRESENT 4 years 3 months ago #67393

• jim51
  • Thank you received: 104
Was that his occupation - he was a well sinker?

von KLEIST, BURGERSDORP TOWN GUARD, CHRISTMAS PRESENT 4 years 3 months ago #67395

• QSAMIKE

jim51 wrote: Was that his occupation - he was a well sinker?

Sorry I have no idea...…

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
O.M.R.S. 1591

von KLEIST, BURGERSDORP TOWN GUARD, CHRISTMAS PRESENT 4 years 3 months ago #67408

• Adrian123456
  • Thank you received: 245
Hi Mike

Must be related,Burghersdorp cemetery.

Regards Adrian

Attachments:

von KLEIST, BURGERSDORP TOWN GUARD, CHRISTMAS PRESENT 3 years 3 months ago #74346

• Zgatkins
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi Mike,
Robert von Kleist is my Great grandfather. I was looking at that medal on ebay, and was wondering how it got there.
Not sure where you got the info from on your message, but the WalterHoefer is his father. His mother married Wilhelm or Carl Wilhelm Walterhoefer on the Britannia in England Oct 1856. They then arrived in SA on the Meresy in Feb 1857. They had two sons Robert Amiel and William Johannes Louis. I read somewhere that he was given a plot of land in Olsen, Not sure what happened to him after that. His wife Emma Bacon later married and had more children with Gustav von Kleist. The two older boys took on his name. this is documented on Emma;s death notice. She also had a hotel in Colesburg or Burghersdorp. She went baack to Eng, as she got sick and passed away in 1882. Robert as far as I know was in the printing trade, he apparently introduced my granny and granpa, who was also in the trade. my dad and one of my uncles followed suit.
Catherine J von Kleist was his first wife. Gertude Magdalena Branford nee Havenga was his second wife they had 2 daughters and a son named Robert. He served in the salvation army most of his life and lived to 102. My Granmother Susan passed away at 92. The other daughter passed away quite young.

Regards
Zelda
The following user(s) said Thank You: QSAMIKE

von KLEIST, BURGERSDORP TOWN GUARD, CHRISTMAS PRESENT 3 years 3 months ago #74348

• QSAMIKE
Hello Zelda......

Thank you very much for the information on your G.Grandfather it is greatly appreciated..... I do not know where the seller obtained the medal but I can tell you that it will be very well looked after......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
O.M.R.S. 1591

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.521 seconds