Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

849 Pvt G. Dalgetty, Marshall's Horse 8 years 7 months ago #43105

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
From memory, their was certainly a nominal roll in WO100/258 as well as the usual WO127, you should also check for any surviving papers in WO126-89 for George Dalgetty, all at Kew, most of their rankers had already seen service within the Cape Volunteers, the Uitenhage Rifles was a favourite, Major Marshall ran a pretty tight ship, out on the veldt, along with his subalterns, who he chose himself.
I take it that the rank on the actual medal is not Pvt? :ohmy: there were a number of officially renamed medals to this corps that are occasionally encountered, with the odd late issue, as, I assume, here, but, these were impressed, notwithstanding, care should always be taken.
I wonder what had happened to George Dalgetty's original medal?

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

849 Pvt G. Dalgetty, Marshall's Horse 8 years 7 months ago #43106

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 452
WO127 is more of a discharge book, it certainly can't be considered a "nominal roll". I don't think any Wo127 for a unit is complete, I wouldn't worry if the man's name is missing.

The medal roll is more of a nominal roll, if his name isn't on the medal roll then I would worry.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

849 Pvt G. Dalgetty, Marshall's Horse 8 years 7 months ago #43108

• Frank Kelley
Mark,
George Dalgetty's medal and clasp will both be fine and are clearly verified in WO100/258, Id be interested to see the medals naming, merely to establish which one it actually is, Marshall's Horse was a great Cape unit and had some real characters serving within it's ranks.
Kind regards Frank Kelley.

849 Pvt G. Dalgetty, Marshall's Horse 8 years 7 months ago #43110

• Frank Kelley
There you go, if I were you, I'd take a close look at the naming, I'd expect it not to be the normal contemporary type, if it is the duplicate, you have, also you should look through WO126-89 at Kew, I hope that a paper has survived, although, sadly many have not, moreover, some of those that have are in a very fragile state,

Attachments:

849 Pvt G. Dalgetty, Marshall's Horse 8 years 7 months ago #43113

• MarkMcM
  • MarkMcM's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi all,

Thanks a million for all the feedback! I bought the medal pretty much sight-unseen from a coin dealer here in the states. Anyway, should have it in hand within the next few days and will post full pics as soon as it hits the mailbox!

849 Pvt G. Dalgetty, Marshall's Horse 8 years 7 months ago #43116

• MarkMcM
  • MarkMcM's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 3

Frank Kelley wrote: From memory, their was certainly a nominal roll in WO100/258 as well as the usual WO127, you should also check for any surviving papers in WO126-89 for George Dalgetty, all at Kew, most of their rankers had already seen service within the Cape Volunteers, the Uitenhage Rifles was a favourite, Major Marshall ran a pretty tight ship, out on the veldt, along with his subalterns, who he chose himself.
I take it that the rank on the actual medal is not Pvt? :ohmy: there were a number of officially renamed medals to this corps that are occasionally encountered, with the odd late issue, as, I assume, here, but, these were impressed, notwithstanding, care should always be taken.
I wonder what had happened to George Dalgetty's original medal?

By the way.... that's a slouch hat badge I take it?

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.203 seconds