Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

849 Pvt G. Dalgetty, Marshall's Horse 8 years 7 months ago #43166

• MarkMcM
  • MarkMcM's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 3
ok, gentlemen... named as follows...

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

849 Pvt G. Dalgetty, Marshall's Horse 8 years 7 months ago #43171

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
MarkMcM
Thanks for posting those pics. Despite the mis-alignment of the Regimental number and rank, the naming looks OK to me. Earlier there was some discussion about the titles "Pte" vs "Tpr". Is it possible that an enlisted store-basher or office-wallah would be titled "Private" and one who did field work would be ranked as "trooper"?
Mark, you can easily check to see if your QSA has been officially re-named by using a digital vernier to measure the medal over several diameters. And if it is, I would not lose a second's sleep over it! It is an interesting medal to an interesting unit.
Best regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MarkMcM

849 Pvt G. Dalgetty, Marshall's Horse 8 years 7 months ago #43172

• MarkMcM
... or, as seems possibly more plausible, the rank may be a carry over from that assigned when enlisting with one of the town guards?

849 Pvt G. Dalgetty, Marshall's Horse 8 years 7 months ago #43180

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
MarkMcM
My suggestion was a trifle whimsical! I really don't think the rank would have been a carry-over from previous TG service. My Thesaurus tells me that the the terms "Trooper" and "Private" are synonyms; trouble is that a lot of other titles also fall under the Thesaurus category "combatants". Of course, both titles mean the bearer has enlisted. Flicking through my little collection notebook, I see that the terms "Pte" and "Tpr" are both used for enlisted members of mounted units. Perhaps there is no definitive answer.
Regards
IL.

849 Pvt G. Dalgetty, Marshall's Horse 8 years 7 months ago #43181

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I certainly would not expect to see a medal named to any member of Marshall's Horse impressed with the rank Trooper, if I did, it would certainly be a cause for concern and I would certainly look twice.

LinneyI wrote: MarkMcM
My suggestion was a trifle whimsical! I really don't think the rank would have been a carry-over from previous TG service. My Thesaurus tells me that the the terms "Trooper" and "Private" are synonyms; trouble is that a lot of other titles also fall under the Thesaurus category "combatants". Of course, both titles mean the bearer has enlisted. Flicking through my little collection notebook, I see that the terms "Pte" and "Tpr" are both used for enlisted members of mounted units. Perhaps there is no definitive answer.
Regards
IL.

The following user(s) said Thank You: MarkMcM

849 Pvt G. Dalgetty, Marshall's Horse 8 years 7 months ago #43188

• MarkMcM
measured the od at numerous points around the medal. Measurements are constant at 1.439 to 1.440 all the way around (a hair over 36mm).

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.605 seconds