TOPIC:

Town Guards and DMTs - compiling unit information 12 years 1 month ago #2262

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
I have a question and would be interested in hearing members' thoughts.

Work is underway to generate lists of the members of the Town Guards and DMT. Each unit would have its one page on the site. This page from the Zeerust Town Guard is a good example.

At present the page contains the list of names and nothing else.

I was wondering whether it would be feasible to put together some introductory text about the TGs and DMTs to accompany the nominal list? Picture would be fabulous if any could be located.

If this could be achieved, it would create a useful resource on these less well known participants in the Boer War but the question is to what extent it is realistic?

Please let me know what you think.

With thanks
David
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Town Guards and DMTs - compiling unit information 12 years 1 month ago #2263

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Good Morning David.....

It would be a facinating project.... There has not been much written about the Town Guards and DMT's other than the 4 big ones that I can think of, Mafeking, Ladysmith, Kimberly and O'Okiep..... Would information be hard to find???? Does anyone know of any published material on the others????

If I can help in anyway please let me know.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Re: Town Guards and DMTs - compiling unit information 12 years 1 month ago #2268

• Mark Wilkie
  • Thank you received: 45
David, I think this would be well worth the effort. The Town Guards and DMT and really a very neglected part of the war. I've very recently become interested in the Eastern Cape and what an interesting sideshow it is proving to be. Shout if you need any help on this.

Cheers,

Mark

Re: Town Guards and DMTs - compiling unit information 12 years 1 month ago #2273

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Mark, Mike,

Thank you for your replies. The main challenge here will be the paucity of information on these units. I know of one book published on the Cape Town units but very little else.

Sometimes the QSA roll provide a bit of information.

I can search the UK papers of the time but I can't see them being very interested in covering the TGs or DMTs.

I'll progress the listing of the men in the units and see what supplementary information can be found.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: Town Guards and DMTs - compiling unit information 12 years 1 month ago #2343

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 427
Hello David,

Is this book that you mention entitled "The Town Guards of Cape Town" or the likes?

I have this small almost pocket size booklet which is very informative and was purchased at the Castle in Cape Town.I think if you do not have a copy it would be a great help to you.

Regards

Adrian
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Re: Town Guards and DMTs - compiling unit information 12 years 1 month ago #2346

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Adrian,

Yes, that's the one. Pocket sized described it perfectly.

I am not aware of many other sources of information do you. I tried a search of UK 19th Century newspapers yesterday but these, perhaps predictably, generated next to nothing.

I recall that the South African edition of Creswicke contains named pictures of a few town guards but I only have the UK edition. Can anyone send me jpgs from the SA edition?

With thanks
David
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.971 seconds