Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

City Coins 8 years 7 months ago #43203

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
IL,
A superb acquisition to your collection, thank you for showing us.

Paul :)

LinneyI wrote: To interested observers:
The Newman "Double Relief" pair arrived Wednesday; here is their pic.
Regards
IL

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

City Coins 8 years 7 months ago #43208

• Jon
  • Thank you received: 50
Lots said on the double relief as regards Barton Fusiliers/ILH for Ladysmith and Mafeking. But what about Kimberley and Mafeking? I've not seen that on offer - is that even rarer or?

City Coins 8 years 7 months ago #43211

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Jon
To the best of my recall, I have never seen - nor heard of - a QSA bearing the clasp combination "Relief of Kimberley" and "Relief of Mafeking". I had a quick look in David's book (Kimberley Siege Account and Medal Roll) and did not see any such reference. Just now I had a look through the Kaplan roll for the RofM clasp with reference to the "other" column and did not see any RofK clasp notation. Yes, I know that the Kaplan roll needs an update. All of that said, it is always possible that an "odd man" could have scored both clasps for RofK and RofM. I would welcome hearing of one! Perhaps Henk or Brett might care to comment.
Regards
IL.

City Coins 8 years 7 months ago #43215

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
IL

I have no knowledge of a QSA with RoK and RoM clasps, and I think that, if David did not identify one in his Kimberley study, then it most probably does not exist.

Trooper Llewellyn Thomas James, ILH, turned out to be a most frustrating research subject! On his ILH Attestation he recorded earlier service in the Royal Navy (18 months), Natal Native Contingent (6 months), Cook's Horse (6 months) and Baker's Horse (6 months). I was unable to confirm him on Zulu War/Basuto Rebellion rolls, and ended up giving up on the RN as well due to the likely cost of a search by a UK-based researcher. Since those days, Terry Sole's excellent book, 'For God, Queen and Colony' has been published, and, after my interest in the ILH was rekindled by Jon, I searched in vain the rolls in the book. Perhaps when James' medal passes to its next custodian, he/she will have better luck.

Regards
Brett

City Coins 8 years 7 months ago #43218

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 452

Brett Hendey wrote: IL

I have no knowledge of a QSA with RoK and RoM clasps, and I think that, if David did not identify one in his Kimberley study, then it most probably does not exist.

There are RoK/RoM combinations four so far:

RoK,RoM,OFS,T,SA01 10th Hussars Mann W Private 3754
P,D,Bf,RoK,RoM 7th Hussars Jeffery WC Private 3809
P,D,Bf,RoK,RoM 7th Hussars Mott Charles Private 4211
RoK,RoM,OFS,T,SA01 Kimberley Light Horse Mann W Trooper 509

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

City Coins 8 years 7 months ago #43219

• Jon
  • Thank you received: 50
Thanks Meurig !

So the fact that the defence and relief of Ladysmith and Kimberley were virtually co-terminous, and were on different fronts (the Western and Natal fronts), meant any combination was realistically impossible. However, Mafeking was relieved nearly 3 months later giving time for troops involved in both the defence and relief of Ladysmith and Kimberely enough time to be involved in double actions. So in theory the following 4 combinations could exist;

1) DoL + RoM - see comment under 2)
2) RoL + RoM - the 200 being the 100 fusiliers + 100 ILH. But some of these could have been involved in defending Ladysmith?
3) DoK + RoM - in theory possible
4) RoK + RoM - 4 identified

The common factor is the RoM - this was undertaken by Mahon's "small" column that gathered and marched from Barkley West on 4 May 1900, and Plumers larger column that came south from Rhodesia. Given logistical issues the question is what troops involved in DoL/RoL/DoK/RoK joined Mahon's column?

Jon

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.764 seconds