The following information is taken from the Synopsis of proceedings of the Ladysmith Town Guard 1899 - 1900 held at the Ladysmith Siege Museum.
Members for the LTG were enrolled from 19 Sep 1899, all members taking the Oath of Allegiance.
The Klip River Rifle Association was affiliated for the defence of the borough, making the aggregate number of men 233.
Mr T R Bennett was appointed commandant of the combined town defence, acting under the orders of Col W G Know CB, commanding the defences.
Daily drills were at once inaugurated , whilst the members were kindly allowed to practice at the rifle ranges of the Klip River Rifle Association.
Nightly patrols were instituted in the town and guards posted on the Convent Hill to give the alarm of the approach of the enemy.
On and after the 18th of October the Guard took duty at the Railway Bridge Defences.
In secret Divisional Orders dated the 23rd of October, the Guard was ordered to muster on the sound of the alarm at the New Supply Store and the Railway Bridge Head.
On the night of 12th October, Col Know ordered the men to guard all the roads leading into the Borough, to prevent any one from entering or leaving the town.
Regulations concerning the duties and conduct of the men were drawn up and approved of by Lieut-General Sir George White VC & c, commanding the Forces in Natal, on the 16th of October. On the 28th the entire guard mustered in the defences at 4.30 am and remained under arms till 7 am.
The men were on duty at the Bridge Head and adjacent defences during the engagement of Lombard's Kop on the 30th of Oct.
On November the 5th, the 3rd day of the siege, the Commandant was sent to the neutral zone at Ndoma Spruit to take charge of the New Camp.
From this date till the 12th of December the services of the Guard were not made use of.
On the latter date, however, the men were again called out, and with the members of the Natal Government Rifle Association, placed under the command of Capt Young RE, Railway Staff Officer.
The strength was now 157 men, exclusive of those on the sick list.
The duty assigned was to guard the river's bank on the South side of the town nightly.
Capt Molyneux, of the Natal Volunteer Staff, assumed command on the 23rd of December, a system being arranged that each man should be one night on and two nights off.
Free rations were issued on the 29th of December and each succeeding day throughout the siege.
During the Boer attack on the 6th of January 1900 the whole of the Guard lined the defences from daybreak till 10 am, being under fire early in the morning.
On several subsequent occasions the men were roused in the night to help to repel an expected attack.
The Guard was disbanded for all Defence purposes on the 1st of March 1900.
On the 3rd of March however a Guard of Honour was furnished by those still in the town at the presentation of the address to Sir George White at the Town Hall.
Signed R A L Brandon, Adjutant, Ladysmith Town Guard.