The PAG was named in honour of Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh.
The Mounted portion of the Prince Alfred's Guard came from the Prince Alfred's Own Volunteer Rifles and was formed on 11 Feb 1900 from two sections of the infantry and detatched from the infantry from that date. During the time it was detached from the infantry headquarters, it was regarded as a separate unit - except with regards to drawing pay.
The PAGMI saw service in OFS and Transvaal.
The Prince Alfred's Guards museum is in Port Elizabeth.
© Crown copyright images reproduced by permission of The National Archives, London, England. The National Archives give no warranty as to the accuracy, completeness or fitness for the purpose of the information provided. Images may be used only for purposes of research, private study or education. Applications for any other use should be made to The National Archives Image Library, Kew, Richmond, Surrey TW9 4DU, Tel: 020 8392 5225 Fax: 020 8392 5266.