The Welsh Hospital for South Africa was established in London in February 1900 to treat British troops fighting in the Boer War. It was administered by a General Committee, chaired by Sir John Williams with Prof. Alfred W. Hughes as Honorary Organising Secretary, and funded by public subscription. In May 1900 the Hospital went into service at Springfontein, moving to Pretoria in August. Prof. Hughes himself served as principal surgeon from July to September 1900. However he died from enteric fever in November, shortly after returning to Britain. His brother, Arthur Hughes, then became Honorary Acting Secretary. John Burrell and W. E. Davies acted as auditors for the General Committee and prepared the accounts for a meeting of the Committee on 23 July 1901.
Source: Library Archives of Wales
44 names on the roll in WO100/225.
See the British Medical Journal, 20 April 1901, for the article: REMINISCENCES OF THE WELSH HOSPITAL IN SOUTH AFRICA (SPRINGFONTEIN AND PRETORIA). Abstract of Addresses delivered before the Barry Medical Society, January 16th, 1901; and the Cardiff Medical Society, March 1st. By J. LYNN THOMAS, F.R.C.S.ENG., Senior Surgeon to the late Welsh Military Hospital; Honorary Surgeon to the Harncdryad Hospital, to the Cardiff Infirmary, etc.