State: New South Wales, Australia
Issued on: Return
Dates of presentations: 01/09/1900, 30/07/1901, 10/06/1902, 16/08/1902
Number issued: 8


Gold Maltese crosses, suitably inscribed, to:

01/09/1900 presentation

"E" Squadron, 1st New South Wales Mounted Rifles –

12 Sergeant Harry George GRACE

Presentation made by Captain Tressider, on behalf of "J" [Dubbo] Company, 3rd N.S.W. Regiment, in the Masonic Hall, Dubbo.

30/07/1901 presentation

"F" Company, New South Wales Imperial Bushmen –

Captain Ernest William Reading SOANE

Presentation made by Captain Tresidder, on behalf of "J" [Dubbo] Company, 3rd N.S.W. Regiment, in the Protestant Hall, Dubbo.

10/06/1902 presentation

3rd New South Wales Imperial Bushmen –
2329 Trooper [Sergeant] George CROSS
2529 Trooper George Albert CROSS

2305 Trooper William Arthur J. NEILL

2nd New South Wales Mounted Rifles –

823 Trooper Lewis Norman V. GAVIN

Presentation made by Captain Tresidder, on behalf of "J" [Dubbo] Company, 3rd N.S.W. Regiment.

16/08/1902 presentation

"C" Squadron, 1st Bn. Australian Commonwealth Horse (New South Wales Contingent) –

254 Bugler James F. SMITH (only sixteen on his return)

"B" Squadron, 5th Bn. Australian Commonwealth Horse (New South Wales Contingent) –

222 Private Edwin HOBBS

Presentation made by Lieutenant Heane, in the Orderly Room, Dubbo.


Type 1 (1900)

Inscribed: "Presented to Sergeant H. Grace, New South Wales Mounted Rifles, South African Contingent, from J Company, Dubbo, on his return from South Africa. Anglo-Boer War".

Type 2 (1902)
Obverse with recipient's monogram.
Reverse: "Presented by comrades, J Co., 3rd Regiment, V.I., on return from S.A. Anglo-Boer war, 1902".

"The medals were in the form of a Maltese cross surmounted by a scroll".

"A gold Maltese cross, on the front being engraved the initials of the recipient, and on the back the inscription, "Presented by comrades, J Co., 3rd Regiment, V.I., on return from S.A. Anglo-Boer war, 1902". The medals, which were handsome souvenirs, were manufactured by W. Hunt and Co., of Macquarie Street".

Supplied by Mr W. Hunt.


Trooper Neill had received a departure medal from fellow-workers at Messrs Wilkins and Kennedy, Dubbo.


An unnamed example was sold through Dix Noonan Webb on 01/03/2017. It is of a different pattern (not a Maltese cross and not made of gold), and the inscription on the medal, "SOUTH AFRICA / Dubbo / Troop / 1900"does not conform with that reported in the press (see below).






Sydney Morning Herald, 19/08/1902
Dubbo Liberal and Macquarie Advocate, 5th September 1900


On Saturday morning a large crowd assembled at the railway station to witness the arrival of Sergeant GRACE, of the N.S.W. Mounted Infantry, who has been invalided from active service in South Africa after suffering from enteric fever. The Dubbo company of the 3rd Regiment (of which Sergeant GRACE is first lieutenant) was drawn up in the station yard, under command of Captain Tresidder. Aldermen R.J.J. Ryan and E.H. Utley were also present. Sergeant GRACE was received as he stepped on to the platform by Captain Tresidder and Second Lieutenant Heane, and conducted by them to the station-yard, the invalided soldier receiving many a grasp of the hand on the way. The company and spectators gave three cheers for Sergeant GRACE, who was then escorted by the volunteers to the orderly room, Macquarie Street, the patriotic songs "Soldiers of the Queen" and "Sons of the Sea" being sung en route. Bunting was displayed by some of the more enthusiastic residents, and the Council's new flag was also conspicuous – by its absence, but was hoisted later on.

On arrival at the orderly room, Captain Tresidder addressed the company. He said they had paraded for the purpose of welcoming Sergeant GRACE, of the Mounted Infantry – their old (and present) first lieutenant – back to his old home. There was one thing about him – he might have been an "Absent-minded Beggar", but when his country called him "his regiment didn't need to send to find him".

Captain Tresidder called for three cheers for Sergeant GRACE, which were heartily given.

Sergeant GRACE said that he had not expected any reception – he had simply come up to attend that day's parade as usual. He had tried to do his duty to his country in South Africa. He was glad to be received by his old comrades in the room where he had learnt so much of his drill.

The company was then dismissed.

In the evening Sergeant GRACE was entertained at a smoke concert in the supper room at the Masonic Hall.

Captain Tresidder was in the chair, and had on his right hand the guest of the evening, and on his left second-Lieutenant Heane. Nearly all the members of the company were present, in addition to a number of specially-invited guests.

During the evening Captain Tresidder, on behalf of the Company, presented Sergeant GRACE with a gold medal from the Dubbo Rifle and Social Club. In making the presentation, Captain Tresidder referred to Sergeant GRACE's connection with the Dubbo force, and read out a record of the recipient's military career and progress to his present position. Mr GRACE joined the Dubbo Reserve Company in January, 1889; a fortnight later was appointed sergeant, and after the company was transferred to the partially-paid system, became colour sergeant, in 1892. On April 2, 1895, he received his commission as second lieutenant, and on October 4, 1896, was promoted to first lieutenant. Was qualified for the rank by examination in 1897. Passed the infantry school of instruction in 1896, and again in 1897, with honours. When the first New South Wales contingent was being formed, he applied for a commission therein, and not being successful, joined the ranks. He left Sydney as a lance-corporal, and after the first engagement in which he was under fire, he was promoted to sergeant. Whilst in South Africa his company was converted into Mounted Infantry, and on several occasions was brigaded with British cavalry. The medal bore the inscription, "Presented to Sergeant H Grace, New South Wales Mounted Rifles South African Contingent, from J Company, Dubbo, on his return from South Africa. Anglo-Boer War".

Sergeant Grace's health was enthusiastically drunk with musical honours.

In replying Sergeant GRACE apologised for not being in a position to say much that evening. He expressed his thanks for the memento just handed to him, and the pleasure it gave him to be once more among his comrades in arms. He added that he had not altogether had an easy time since he left, but he would not for anything have missed the experience gained in actual warfare, and by service with the Imperial forces. The movement that had taken him to South Africa had tended to bind the Empire closer together, and to influence the history of the world. When he first joined the volunteers, he made up his mind that if ever he got an opportunity, he would see active service. The opportunity came, and he went to South Africa with the Australian forces. But while he was anxious to perform his duty to his country, he had recognised that his first duty was to his wife, and before going away he had insured his life for a considerable sum under special war risks, and had provided for his wife and family by arranging with the authorities that she should receive his pay, amounting to £2 2s at the start, which she did, while if he were promoted that amount was to be augmented, and if he lost his life his wife was to receive £3 per week for the remainder of her life. He again expressed his thanks for their welcome.

Speeches were delivered during the evening by Captain Tresidder, Lieutenant Heane, Alderman Utley, and others.

The proceedings were interspersed with songs, etc., and were brought to a close about 11.30 with the National Anthem and cheers for the returned soldier.
Sydney Morning Herald, 11th March 1901


DUBBO, Saturday.

MESSRS. C. Hill, T. Dunn, C. Moran, W. and B. Maxwell, members of the Federal Contingent, were entertained by their friends at Murrumbidgerie on Wednesday evening. They left for Sydney by the mail train on Thursday afternoon. Altogether 10 men have gone to South Africa from Murrumbid-gerie, Private W. A. T. Neill, of the Dubbo volun-teers, left Dubbo this week to join the contingent. His fellow employees at Messrs. Wilkins and Ken-nedy's coach factory entertained him prior to his de-parture. Mr. Neill was also presented with a gold medal suitably inscribed.
Dubbo Dispatch, 9th March 1901
SEND-OFF TO PRIVATE NEILL. — On Saturday night, W.A.J. NEILL, who. had been in the employ of Messrs. Wilkins and Kennedy for the last five years, was given a "send-off" by his fellow-workmen at Moston's Hotel, previous to his departure for South Africa. The chair was occupied by Mr Allen, senr., the oldest employee of the firm, who proposed the health of their guest, and wished him a safe return. Mr NEILL suitably responded to the toast, and songs and other numbers were given by the company. On Monday, Private NEILL was presented with a gold medal, suitably inscribed, the gift being acknowledged in appropriate terms. Private NEILL was a member of "J" Company, and It was originally intended that local force should combine with his comrades at the factory and hold a little gathering to bid him farewell, but this having been found impracticable, the above social meeting was held.
Sydney Morning Herald, 31st July 1901

DUBBO, Tuesday.

Captain SOANE, who recently returned from South Africa, arrived in Dubbo on Monday morning, and was publicly welcomed by volunteers at a supper in the Protestant Hall on Monday evening. Captain Tressider presided. Lieutenant Heane proposed “Our Guest”. Captain Tressider presented Captain SOANE with a gold Maltese cross on behalf of the company. Captain SOANE suitably responded. He addressed the company at length, giving his experiences and exhibiting war relics.
Dubbo Liberal and Macquarie Advocate, 31st July 1901


CAPTAIN E.W. SOANE, of the Imperial Bushmen, who recently returned from South Africa, was entertained at a Smoke Concert in the Protestant Hall Supper room on Monday evening by members of J Company, 3rd Regiment, which company he formerly commanded. The room was crowded. Captain Tresidder presided, having on his right the guest of the evening. Lieutenant Heane was also present. After refreshments had been partaken of, and the toast of "The King" having been honored.

Lieutenant Heane proposed "Our Guest". In doing so, he said they had assembled to welcome Captain SOANE on his return from South Africa, where he had done the same as all others who had gone from this colony - upheld the honor of New South Wales. He had also specially distinguished himself. Those present probably knew more than the speaker of Captain SOANE's merits as an officer, but when in Camp he (Lieutenant Heane) had learnt how highly Captain SOANE was estimated by officers of other regiments. It was his pleasing duty to welcome back such an old friend and good officer; and if Captain SOANE should return to South Africa, as he believed was his intention, it would be a loss to New South Wales.

Captain Tresidder said that though it was well-known that a great many Australians had gone to South Africa, he felt that very few realized their worth, and how highly they were esteemed by the world in general. All the British Generals had "grabbed" all the Australians they could get hold of. Owing to the special qualifications of the Australians to act as scouts, or light cavalry, they were scattered over South Africa, and never had the chance to distinguish themselves as a body; but they got their casualties all the same. Captain Tresidder then read several extracts from Conan Doyle's "Great Boer War", to show how Australians at the front were appreciated.

Captain SOANE's health was then enthusiastically honoured.

Captain SOANE, in replying, said it was difficult for him to express what he felt at that cordial reception from his old company. He did not now look on himself as a Dubbo citizen, although he had spent many years of his life in the town. Going on active service was not so simple a thing as one might think. He had not gone as an Australian only, but as a unit in the great British Empire. He had heard Australians, New Zealanders, Canadians, and others mentioned, but they were all part of the British army. He could talk for a week of what he had seen, but would make his remarks as brief as possible. [Captain SOANE then delivered a most interesting address on his experiences; a report will appear in our next issue].

Captain Tresidder then, on behalf of J Company, presented Captain SOANE with a gold Maltese cross.

Captain SOANE suitably acknowledged the gift, and the gathering separated at a late hour.
Dubbo Liberal and Macquarie Advocate, 14th June 1902


ON Tuesday evening the Dubbo soldiers who returned home from South Africa on Monday morning were entertained at a smoke concert by J Company, 3rd Regiment, in the banqueting room of the Protestant Hall. The room was crowded to excess. Captain Tresidder presided, and was supported on the right by Captain Hudson, of the Bathurst company, and on the left by Lieutenant Heane. The re-turned soldiers present were Sergeant G. CROSS, Privates G.A. CROSS, N. GAVIN, and W.A.J. NEILL of the Dubbo Company, 3rd Regiment; Sergeant GRAHAM, Troopers E. MEAD, H.J. McAULIFFE, E. PLUMMER, REYNOLDS, WALLACE, MAXWELL, WILSON, and T.R. BAIRD.

An apology for absence was received from the commanding officer, 3rd regiment, who wrote as follows –

"Lieutenant-Colonel Bartlett regrets that he cannot have the pleasure of accepting the Committee's kind invitation to the social to be tendered to returned soldiers on Tuesday, 10th instant, as he will be at Mudgee on that date. He desires, however, that his congratulations may be conveyed to the soldiers, with his hearty good wishes for a happy evening. -- Windsor, 9th June, 1902".

A tasty repast (supplied by Mr T.S. Green) having been partaken of, Captain Tresidder extended a cordial and hearty welcome to the returned soldiers, congratulating them on having returned home safely after taking an honored part in one of the greatest wars in the history of the empire. They had assisted to uphold the honor of Australia in the eyes of the world, and J Company was proud to acknowledge each brave fellows as comrades. They would have the satisfaction in future years of reflecting that when duty pointed the way they had responded to the call and fought for their country and their King. (Cheers).

Captain Hudson also warmly welcomed the men. He referred to the great bravery displayed by "the lads at the front", and claimed that the British blood had not by any means deteriorated, but both officers and men had proved to be as brave and chivalrous as of yore. As instancing the latter quality he mentioned that while in ancient times the Romans and Grecians had made a practice of dragging their captives taken in war along the streets to be execrated by the populace, the British Government had treated the conquered Boers most humanely and liberally in every respect.

Lieutenant Heane also welcomed the men, congratulating them on their safe return. He referred with regret to the death of Corporal LEGGE, who was the only man going from Dubbo who had died during the campaign.

The toast of "The King " was then drunk with enthusiasm.

The returned soldiers were then marshalled on the left of the chairman, and Captain Tresidder, on behalf of J Company, presented the four members of the company (Sergeant CROSS, and Privates NEILL, CROSS, and GAVIN) with gold medals as mementoes of the occasion, and marks of good will from their comrades in the company. The medals were manufactured by Mr W. Hunt, and were in the form of a Maltese cross surmounted by a scroll.

In making the presentation, Captain Tresidder said the mementoes were of small value intrinsically, but they were from comrades to comrades in recognition of a certain time and of actions performed, and he knew they would be valued by the recipients for the good comradeship they represented. He then presented the four medals, with a few graceful words to each recipient.

Captain Tresidder then presented medals to Sergeant GRAHAM and Private James REYNOLDS, on behalf of friends at Geurie, Ponto, and Terrabella. The medals were accompanied by the following letter – "Geurie, Ponto, and Terra Bella public in sympathy with our returned young soldiers, have much pleasure in presenting Sergeant GRAHAM, of 3rd Regiment Mounted Rifles, and Private James REYNOLDS, of same regiment, with a gold medal in recognition of services rendered to the empire. Trusting that the returned young soldiers will accept the same with the same feelings of pleasure as the above offer the presentation, we all beg to remain, your very sincere friends, H. Graham, Hon. Secretary".

The health of the returned soldiers was then enthusiastically drunk, with musical honors.

Sergeant CROSS, who was received with rousing cheers, said he thanked his comrades and friends for their handsome present and welcome on their return from the great Boer War. They had had a splendid reception in Sydney -- if anything it was too kindly, for they had a job to keep square on their feet. He had been a long time in the Dubbo company, and had always tried to do his duty, and he did the same in South Africa. He was in the column from start to finish. He thanked Captain Tresidder for kindness shown to his people while he was away. (Cheers).

Sergeant GRAHAM also responded. He said when they left the veldt, Colonel Remington said he was proud of being British, and proud of having such pals to fight with. He (Sergeant GRAHAM) was also proud to be identified with Dubbo district, and was also glad he had had such pals on active service. He was also glad to be back among his friends. He thanked them from the bottom of his heart for their kindness to him. (Cheers).

Private GAVIN also returned thanks for the present, which he would be proud to wear at any time. He did his duty in South Africa, to the best of his ability. (Cheers).

Private G.A. CROSS expressed his thanks for the memento. They had done their duty as well as they could. (Cheers).

Private NEILL had great pleasure in thanking his comrades for the handsome medal they had given him; he would look on it in the future and think of his friends in Dubbo. He was glad to get back. He thanked Captain Tresidder for kindness to his people during his absence, (Cheers).

Private REYNOLDS also returned thanks for the medal presented to him. He was glad to see that all members of the 3rd Regiment had come back safe. He had had a splendid time -- had had no sickness, and had stopped no lead. What little fighting there was, he had seen it. He had heard J Company was likely to be converted into Mounted Infantry. If so it would be a splendid thing. One was no good in South Africa unless mounted. He thanked them from the bottom of his heart for their kind reception, and was grateful to the Ponto and Geurie district for their action, (Cheers).

Troopers McAULIFFE, WALLACE, MEAD, MAXWELL, WILSON, and PLUMMER also responded, each speaker being vociferously cheered in turn.

In response to repeated calls, Trooper T.B. BAIRD, who was received with quite an ovation, said he must return thanks for such a reception; he had never been in J Company, but if it was turned into Mounted Infantry they could have him, and as many more as he could bring.

Captain Tresidder remarked that the men appeared to be nervous now, but they were not so nervous at meeting a Boer and sticking a bayonet into him. He hoped when their little bugler, SMITH, returned, they would give him a warm reception. He considered Sergeant CROSS one of the best men they had had in J Company. They were all extremely proud to meet these men, who had upheld the honour of the company and had had assisted in binding together the British empire. Trooper BAIRD had had bad luck -- he had been severely wounded, but was now, he was happy to say, almost recovered, and was ready to take his part again when needed. Before the men left South Africa the following general order was issued – "On the departure for Klerkadorp, and the re-organisation of the column consequent on the departure of the N.S.W. contingent for home, Colonel Williams wishes all ranks a hearty goodbye, and a safe voyage home, after their arduous year's work in the field. The command of this, a purely Australian column, has been a great pleasure to him, and he desires to thank everyone in the column for their support, and unfailing loyalty at all times. During the year the column has been in existence it has travelled upwards of 4000 miles in every part of the Transvaal, doing much fighting and hard work, all of which has been most cheerfully carried out. One especially noteworthy feature is that though constantly engaged with the enemy only 18 have been taken prisoners, and of them the larger number were taken on the 1st July, at Kooranffontein fight, and through no fault of their own. This record it is impossible to beat, and it speaks volumes for the spirit and soldierly qualities of the Australian soldier. No column has made more night marches than this column; and one march made on night of March 11, 1902, from Bruy Spruit, over the difficult Wilge River to Doorn Nek, a distance of 46 miles, which, with the return journey, makes a distance of 75 miles for the trek, is worthy of mention. D.D. Section Pom-pom, under command of Captain McNaughton, R.F.A., have been with the column from start to finish, and it is with genuine regret that the O.C. column has now to part with them, as they are ordered to remain in this district, and he wishes all success to this smart section and their gallant commander. Finally, to Lieutenant-Colonel Lassetter, commanding the 2nd Regiment N.S.W. M.R., to Major the Hon. E. Carrington, commanding 3rd Regiment, N.S.W. Bushmen, to Major Lydiard, 2nd Regiment N.S.W. M.R., the O.C. column desires to express his grateful thanks." (Cheers).

Cheers were then given for Trooper BAIRD, for the officers present, for Colonel Lassetter, Colonel Cox, Major Rupert Carrington, and Major Lyddiard.

Captain Tresidder announced that Sergeant W. MAXWELL, who had returned home from South Africa but had gone back again, had received a commission. (Cheers).

Mr T. Maxwell (father of Lieutenant Maxwell and of Trooper MAXWELL) spoke of the career of his eldest son in South Africa and mentioned that one particular act of bravery on his part had elicited three cheers from the Gordon Highlanders - as a rule the most taciturn of men. When the war first broke out, the Australian soldiers had been accepted only as a compliment, but they quickly turned out to be the best and bravest of all. He admired the splendid physique of those soldiers present who had assisted in building up an Empire that would defy the world. (Cheers).

Cheers were given for Mr Maxwell and for Lieutenant Maxwell.

Songs and recitations were given at intervals during the evening, and the company did not separate until a late hour.
Dubbo Liberal and Macquarie Advocate, 20th August 1902


On Saturday evening last, members of the Dubbo Company, 3rd Regiment, assembled at the orderly room to welcome home Private E. HOBBS and Bugler J.F. SMITH, on their return from South Africa. Private HOBBS had formed one of the last contingent dispatched from New South Wales, and had only reached South Africa as peace was declared, so after spending but a fortnight there the battalion was ordered home. Bugler SMITH left Dubbo last December, and saw five months active service – sufficient to entitle him to the war medal, the ribbon of which he now wears.

Captain Tresidder presided at the gathering, supported by Lieutenant Heane. Glasses having been filled, the Captain proposed the health of the King, reminding those present that his Majesty had recently come through a severe illness and had been successfully crowned, to everyone's delight and satisfaction.

The toast was received with enthusiasm.

Captain Tresidder said they were there to welcome Bugler SMITH and Private HOBBS – the last two of their various contingents who had dribbled back to Dubbo. He was right glad to see them back safe and sound – particularly Bugler SMITH, who, considering his youth, was a real brave plucky fellow to have gone.

The healths of the two guests were then drunk, cheers being given for each.

Lieutenant Heane said nobody could be more pleased than he to see their comrades back – particularly the little bugler, who would be able in future years to look back on his share in the campaign with pleasure. He had seen some of the fighting, but Private HOBBS had not been so fortunate, as it was no satisfaction to get to South Africa just as peace was declared, and not to have a shot at the Boers. There was one thing must give them all pleasure – of all the brave fellows who had gone to the war from the Dubbo company, not one had been wounded or killed; it would have taken away from the joy at their patriotic action had one of the company been lost to them.

Lieutenant Heane then presented to each returned soldier a gold Maltese cross, on the front being engraved the initials of the recipient, and on the back the inscription, "Presented by comrades, J Co., 3rd Regiment, V.I., on return from S.A. Anglo-Boer war, 1902". The medals, which were handsome souvenirs, were manufactured by W. Hunt and Co., of Macquarie Street.

Bugler SMITH then gave an account of his experiences during his five months' campaign; they were mostly of an amusing nature. He had taken part in an 11 days "drive", and had fired about 100 rounds from the carbine with which he was armed – "principally at bucks and spring-bok". He had been in the trenches every night, and had had "all-right fun", and a good time. He was orderly bugler to Colonel Williams.

A smoke concert was then held, and a pleasant time was spent by those present.
Parkes Western Champion, 26th September 1902

A Youthful Warrior.

During the week, Mr L. Wilson had a visit from his nephew, Bugler J.F. SMITH, of Dubbo, who saw active service in South Africa with the last contingent, returning by the Drayton Grange. Bugler SMITH, who is but 16 years of age, has won three trophies at rifle shooting, and upon his return from the front was presented by his comrades with a very handsome gold pendant, suitably inscribed.