Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Mrs. Rose A. MacLennan, ABW nursing sister, died 8th May 1963 2 years 6 months ago #78667

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2300
Surname at birth not known, possibly Marcham, perhaps Humphrey.

Boer War Nurse's Savings Will Get Her to Reunion
....Mrs. Rose A. Maclennan, 85, 857 McClure, believed to be the only remaining Boer War nursing sister living in Canada today, will spend part of her small savings to attend the 60th annual reunion of the Boer War veterans in Toronto, May 21 to 24.
....She was the only nursing sister who attended a similar reunion 10 years ago in Victoria*. She said yesterday that she received a letter from a Major McCormick, reunion chairman, stating that "after an exhaustive search, I was the only nursing sister of the South African War that they could find."
....She was awarded the service medal for the 18 to 19 months she spent in South Africa.
...."I was trained in St. Thomas' Hospital in London, England," she said. "There were eight of us who went to South Africa together in 1900. We took over a hotel for use as a hospital."
....Still vivid in her memory is the day she awoke and found 6½ inches of snow on the ground, water frozen in washbasins, fireplaces cold and water pipes frozen. The nurses huddled around a cookstove in the kitchen until they were able to start fires and take the chill off the place, she said.
....Mrs. Maclennan will leave for Toronto late next week.
The Daily Colonist [Victoria], Saturday 14th May 1960
* She was actually one of two nursing sisters present at the 1950 reunion, the other being Mrs. M. W. Dunsmore, of 2753 Quadra Street, Victoria.

MACLENNAN - Passed away peacefully in St. Joseph's Hospital, on May 8, 1963, Mrs. Rose Alice MacLennan, of 857 McClure Street, aged 89 years, and a resident of Victoria since 1942. She is survived by two sons, William John, of Victoria, and Robert Douglas, of Winnipeg, also three grandchildren in Winnipeg. She was a member of Centennial Church for many years. Florence Nightingale Chapter of I.O.D.E. and a member of the Overseas Nursing Sisters Association (Boer War, 1900-1901).
....Funeral services will be held in McCall Bros. Family Chapel, Main Building, on Friday, May 10, 1963, at 1:45 p.m. Rev. Dr. A. J. Parsons officiating, interment in Ross Bay Cemetery.
The Daily Colonist, Thursday 9th May & Friday 10th May, 1963

www.findagrave.com/memorial/121306538/rose-alice-maclennan

There was a Robert Douglas MacLennan, whose mother was Rose Alice.
www.findagrave.com/memorial/221009391/robert-douglas-maclennan

Edit - A Rosa Alice Marcham was born in the first quarter of 1875, in the Berkhampstead registration district.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 1.047 seconds