• Page:

TOPIC:

GWG Percival - George William Garnet Percival 8 years 5 months ago #43956

• GWGP-Hill
  • GWGP-Hill's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I received some information regarding my Great Grandfather George William Garnet Percival or GWG Percival. Can you verify any or all of the information received? When I looked through the records you already have posted his name is not listed. Not sure how much is related to South Africa and what is back in the UK

Born: 1880 in Runcorn England
Enlisted: 1897 with South Lancashire Regiment (Prince of Wales Volunteers)
Served: 1899 to 1902 under Redver's Buller's Command South African War
Engagements: Spion Kop, Colenso, Tugela, and was present at the Relief of Ladysmith
Special Honours: For 16 months he was in charge of a block house four miles from Botha's Farm.
On December 23rd 1899 he was given the honour of commanding the Company Scouts by Captain Oakley.
March 2nd 1902 he was promoted from Lance Sergeant to Sergeant and transferred to the 2nd Battalion.

He retired to the reserves in 1903 but reenlisted in 1914 with the outbreak of war and became a drill instructor at Tidworth. In October of that year he was made a Company Sergeant Major.

At some point he was offered a Commission for what rank I'm not exactly sure but he declined for personal reasons.

Died: July 8th 1916 at the Somme from wounds sustained on the 6th of July as part of the 7th Battalion 19th Division with the South Lancashire Regiment (Prince of Wales Volunteers.

Sorry for putting so much into this my first post on the forum but wanted to put out there what information I have.
Any information you can provide or verify would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.319 seconds