Hudson, Martin. Korporal 8 years 11 months ago #31897

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Served: Potchefstroom.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hudson, Martin. Korporal 6 years 8 months ago #54426

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
City Coins November 2007

ABO (Korpl. M. Hudson)
Natal (1) 1906 (1906 Pte. M. Hudson, Durban Light Infantry)
1914-15 Star (Sjt. M. Hudson 1st Infantry)
BWM; AVM (Bil) (Sjt. M. Hudson, 6th S.A.I.)
CAF LS medal (GV) fixed suspender (44718 Sjt. M. Hudson , 1st Infy. (D.L.I.))

CAFLS GG 5.8.1924.

(the suspenders of both the ABO and CAFLS medal are slightly slack and as might be expected the edge of the naming of the Natal medal 1906 medal is a little bruised).

Martin Hudson was born in the OFS in 1876.

He served with the Potchefstroom Commando and also as one of General De Wet’s Scouts during the Boer War. His WWI medical papers upon enlistment indicate that he had bullet wounds and it would therefore seem likely that he was wounded during the Boer War. Reporting on the Natal 1906 Campaign, Major Campbell made special mention of Hudson in connection with a 28-mile night march by a 25 strong D.L.I. mounted infantry company on 25 and 26 May during an attempt to capture Bambata in the Ensingabantu forest. He served throughout the campaign in German SWA 1914-15 and is quoted in the regimental history that he also served in the 1914 Rebellion. Like many of his colleagues he re-enlisted in December 1915, now as Regimental Transport Sergeant with the 6th S.A. Infantry for the campaign in

German East Africa. Of Hudson it is said that “He could be relied upon to get his wagons through when no-one else could” His occupation upon enlistment was given as “carrier & contractor ” and “he coped equally well with sand, marsh or morass, mountain or valley, and he understood his animals whether ox, horse, mule or donkey”. The entire 1st Infantry served in the 1922 mine revolt on the Witwatersrand.

Note: Of the approximate 12000 recipients of the Colonial Auxiliary Forces LSM or Decoration, it is known that names within the letters A-L include only 2 men who served in the Boer Forces to earn an ABO medal and later earned a green ribboned FSM or Decoration. This combination is therefore very scarce. Sold with extensive documentation.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.450 seconds