Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Natal 5 years 1 month ago #62961

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
The Edwardian crown means these badges could never have been seen by Private Baker?
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Natal 5 years 1 month ago #62965

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello David,
That crown was in use by a number of regiments prior to the coronation of King Edward, I suppose, most notably, by the Ninth Lancers, it is not the Tudor Crown.
In May 1901, Evelyn Wood sent out a memorandum from the Secretary of State for War to the Army, stating that the King had approved the use of his new cypher and made a point of the correct crown to be used in future on all Naval and Military dress and Accoutrements, this was to be the crown of King Henry the Seventh, Henry Tudor and all other patterns to be abolished,
Regards Frank

djb wrote: The Edwardian crown means these badges could never have been seen by Private Baker?

The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Natal 4 years 11 months ago #63425

• Frank Kelley
As mentioned.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Natal 4 years 11 months ago #63443

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Many thanks, Frank. You have again added to my knowledge.
Dr David Biggins

Natal 4 years 11 months ago #63453

• Frank Kelley
Quite frankly David, I find heraldry in general and wretched crowns, in particular, a pain in the backside, there are just so many of the latter, all in use at similar points in time.
The famous Scottish Horse, for example, when raised as a Home Service Imperial Yeomanry regiment in 1903, the original regiments having been disbanded the year before, very deliberately, with considerable forethought, chose to wear the crown from the Scottish regalia upon their cap badge, rather than the Tudor Crown.
So well after the royal degree, some five whole years after, in actual fact and whilst noted by the War Office with the sealed patterns of their badge, I have in my Scottish Horse collection, a sealed pattern board dated 1906, they simply could not be bothered to do anything about it until the Great War

You might say, with some truth, flying in the face of the sovereign, himself.

Natal 4 years 10 months ago #64116

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Pictures courtesy of DNW

QSA (1) Natal (5662 Pte. W. Bothwell, Gordon Highrs:)

Together with a somewhat worn brass commemorative medallion featuring famous Boer War Generals

W. Bothwell was from Aberdeen and enlisted in 1896. He was a militia reservist who served with the 2nd Battalion in South Africa and died of enteric fever at Modder Spruit on 15 June 1900. He is buried at Natal Naval Cemetery, his religion being shown as Presbyterian. He is recorded in Steve Watt’s Book, In Memoriam, p39. The Natal clasp is particularly scarce to the Regiment.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.580 seconds