Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Defence of Mafeking 9 years 6 days ago #26931

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
As a teenager, I bought and subsequently returned, a very nice medal to Marshall's Horse, back to the provincial dealer because it was officially renamed, you do encounter renamed medals to this and other Cape Irregulars from time to time, to be fair to myself, the dealer in question had failed to mention the naming though, moreover, I have since learned from the errors I would make in those days! :(

djb wrote: I agree with Ian but feel, perhaps wrongly, that an officially renamed medal has slightly lower standing than an original medal.

Another category of medals often seen renamed at those to the doctors in the siege of Kimberley. I did bid for Dr Ashe's officially renamed QSA a few years ago and the application of my reasoning probably explains why my bid was unsuccessful :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Defence of Mafeking 8 years 4 months ago #44409

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4531
DNW February 2016

Picture courtesy of DNW

QSA (1) DoM (33 Sergt. R. H. Barry, Protectorate Regt.), good very fine £1600-1800

Remo Henry Barry served in ‘C’ Squadron of the Protectorate Regiment at the defence of Mafeking and died of wounds on 27 December 1899, the day following the costly action fought at Game Tree Hill. The Colonials in South Africa 1899-1902 takes up the story:

‘Action at Game Tree Hill, 26 December 1899: Two squadrons of the Protectorate Regiment, supported by an armoured train and the Bechuanaland Rifles, were ordered to attack the enemy’s works from the left flank under Major Godley, while three guns and a maxim prepared the way from the right front of the work. On pressing home the attack a heavy fire killed or wounded most of the officers and leading troops. These succeeded in gaining the parapet, but the work was found to have been strongly roofed in and so closed as to be impregnable. The British losses were this time very serious. Captain R. J. Vernon, Captain H. C. Sandford, Lieutenant H. P. Paton, and 21 non-commissioned officers and men were killed, Captain FitzClarence and 22 men wounded, and 3 missing. Colonel Baden-Powell said “If blame for this reverse falls on any one it should fall on myself, as everybody concerned did their part of the work thoroughly well and exactly in accordance with the orders I had issued. Both officers and men worked with splendid courage and spirit.” ’
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Defence of Mafeking 8 years 4 months ago #44417

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
David,
I am sure this super example will fly past it's estimate

Paul :)

djb wrote: DNW February 2016

Picture courtesy of DNW

QSA (1) DoM (33 Sergt. R. H. Barry, Protectorate Regt.), good very fine £1600-1800

Remo Henry Barry served in ‘C’ Squadron of the Protectorate Regiment at the defence of Mafeking and died of wounds on 27 December 1899, the day following the costly action fought at Game Tree Hill. The Colonials in South Africa 1899-1902 takes up the story:

‘Action at Game Tree Hill, 26 December 1899: Two squadrons of the Protectorate Regiment, supported by an armoured train and the Bechuanaland Rifles, were ordered to attack the enemy’s works from the left flank under Major Godley, while three guns and a maxim prepared the way from the right front of the work. On pressing home the attack a heavy fire killed or wounded most of the officers and leading troops. These succeeded in gaining the parapet, but the work was found to have been strongly roofed in and so closed as to be impregnable. The British losses were this time very serious. Captain R. J. Vernon, Captain H. C. Sandford, Lieutenant H. P. Paton, and 21 non-commissioned officers and men were killed, Captain FitzClarence and 22 men wounded, and 3 missing. Colonel Baden-Powell said “If blame for this reverse falls on any one it should fall on myself, as everybody concerned did their part of the work thoroughly well and exactly in accordance with the orders I had issued. Both officers and men worked with splendid courage and spirit.” ’

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Defence of Mafeking 8 years 4 months ago #44437

• rdarby
  • Thank you received: 119
QSA's are often officially renamed as was mentioned above to Nurses and also to Australians.

I wonder if other Colonials had their renamed too, as it was too hard to send them back to get another from London.

But it does put buyers off. However that is an opportunity for us who realise these are not renamed as such. Just reused.

Ryan

Defence of Mafeking 8 years 4 months ago #44442

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
It is important to be quite clear on this, an officially renamed medal is exactly that, a medal that has been renamed at the mint only, anything else is spurious and is without any real value.

[quote="rdarby" post=44437

I wonder if other Colonials had their renamed too, as it was too hard to send them back to get another from London.

[/quote]

Defence of Mafeking 8 years 4 months ago #44443

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Frank and interested others
On a City Coins listing,they offered a QSA which was accompanied by official paperwork authorising a local (i.e., South African) jeweller to undertake renaming. It sounded interesting and I did put in a reasonable bid - but lost out. Later this evening, I will have a trawl through my CC catalogues as reassurance that memory is not at fault here. I had never heard of the abovementioned practice before. Has anyone else knowledge of it?
IL.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.585 seconds