Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Defence of Mafeking 9 years 19 hours ago #26914

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 443
Hi

Herewith a scan of the pair to Samuel Hempseed, . His BSAC medal has the 1897 reverse and he died of wounds received during the Game Tree Fort episode. The QSA is also skimmed and officially re-impressed.

Henk
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Defence of Mafeking 9 years 16 hours ago #26916

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4511
A great shame about the naming Henk but still an historic pair.
Dr David Biggins

Defence of Mafeking 9 years 22 minutes ago #26923

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Henk

Thank you for showing another great pair of medals. Does the official renaming really detract from the value of the QSA? It seems that this does not apply in the case of the skimmed and renamed medals awarded to nurses. There is clearly no intention to deceive in such instances.

Regards
Brett

Defence of Mafeking 8 years 11 months ago #26924

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Brett and anyone else interested
No, I don't think an officially reimpressed QSA is intrinsically "worth" anything less than an original medal. As you say, medals to Nurses are found that way and are not regarded any the less for it. Provided the vendor clearly discloses that an item is officially reimpressed, I for one would not be concerned. In terms of full disclosure, once-upon-a-time I would have been concerned; however as time goes by, we do learn more about such things.
Of course, my comments do not apply to a QSA/KSA/etc which has been privately renamed!
Regards
IL.

Defence of Mafeking 8 years 11 months ago #26928

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Brett,
There are very many collectors here that won't touch anything that has been officially renamed, but, they fail to understand that a particular medal was awarded to a particular recipient, it was a very simple case of waste not, want not, these medals had to be paid for, silver is silver, additional costs of scrapping a medal and issuing a blank from your stock were not an option, when you are talking about the quantities having to be issued.
A medal that has been officially renamed is a perfectly original medal.
In general terms they will always be worth a little less, but, I do not think any serious collector would dismiss them out of hand, I tend to seek an alternative if I'm wanting a medal to a particular unit, but, if none are available and if the medal is to a particularly interesting recipient, then I would buy it.
Regards Frank

Brett Hendey wrote: Henk

Thank you for showing another great pair of medals. Does the official renaming really detract from the value of the QSA? It seems that this does not apply in the case of the skimmed and renamed medals awarded to nurses. There is clearly no intention to deceive in such instances.

Regards
Brett

Defence of Mafeking 8 years 11 months ago #26929

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4511
I agree with Ian but feel, perhaps wrongly, that an officially renamed medal has slightly lower standing than an original medal.

Another category of medals often seen renamed at those to the doctors in the siege of Kimberley. I did bid for Dr Ashe's officially renamed QSA a few years ago and the application of my reasoning probably explains why my bid was unsuccessful :(
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.630 seconds