Sort Results by
Search at a specific date
Jump to Result Number
Search in Categories

Search Results

Searched for: Adelaide
25 Jan 2023 14:51
  • David Grant
At the 2020 virtual OMRS Convention, Meurig Jones presented a paper on the "Q.S.A. & other Medals". Of interest to me was the Central Africa Medal since I collect them when I can.

with thanks to The OMRS & Meurig Jones

I am pleased to report that the Central Africa Medal to Wazir Khan,2nd Lancers Hyderabad, Imperial Service Troops, is known

Wazir Khan's full medal entitlement is

Indian Order of Merit
Coronation Medal 1902 in bronze
Central Africa Medal ( ring suspender)
Queen's South Africa Medal with two clasps, Cape Colony & Orange Free State
King's South Africa Medal with two clasps.

Wazir Khan's I.O.M was awarded for – For conspicuous gallantry in action at the capture & destruction of the stronghold of the Yao Chief Makanjira, on the south-east shore of Lake Nyasa, Central Africa, on the 30th October 1891. .

“They found a yelling crowd of Yaos on the beach & immediately dispersed it by their first shell. Johnson landed with a few Sikhs under the cover from Maguire’s fire from the steamer, but was forced back to the ship with one or two casualties. The next morning Maguire landed in force & after hard fighting in which several Sikhs were wounded, took all Makanjira’s defences & destroyed his town & dhows” (Magor p 137 " Africa General Service Medals")

As an added bonus - I have previously reported on a named photograph in the "Adelaide Reporter" "The Blood Brotherhood of Empire" at www.angloboerwar.com/forum/search?query=...5/2023&childforums=1

Wazir Khan is seated in the middle.

Wazir Khan appears in the 1905 & 1912 Indian Army Lists under 29th Lancers ( the new designation of the 2nd Hyderabad Lancers) as retired. Not in 1915 List so I presume he must have died by then.
Category: Medals and awards
Displaying 1 - 1 out of 1 results.
Time to create page: 0.391 seconds