Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

The Indian Contingent 1 year 4 months ago #87526

• David Grant
  • David Grant's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 315
Happy to report that I was the highest bidder on this pair. The issue of the silver medal is noted on the roll. ( "Bronze medal returned 1/1/06, silver medal issued 5/1/06 68/SA/120") as is the Cape Colony Clasp which of course was not issued - Served with the Indian Transport Corps in South Africa.

The IGS is named to the post 1903 name for the 3rd Sikh Infantry, the 53rd Sikh Infantry. The pair joins the two other silver medals issued in lieu that I have.

Looking for Salutries, Salootries and Veterinary Duffadars.
I collect primarily QSAs to Indian Recipients.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The Indian Contingent 1 year 4 months ago #87529

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
David,

Congratulations. How nice to add another silver medal to your collection.
Dr David Biggins

The Indian Contingent 1 year 3 months ago #88257

• David Grant
  • David Grant's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 315
At the 2020 virtual OMRS Convention, Meurig Jones presented a paper on the "Q.S.A. & other Medals". Of interest to me was the Central Africa Medal since I collect them when I can.

with thanks to The OMRS & Meurig Jones

I am pleased to report that the Central Africa Medal to Wazir Khan,2nd Lancers Hyderabad, Imperial Service Troops, is known

Wazir Khan's full medal entitlement is

Indian Order of Merit
Coronation Medal 1902 in bronze
Central Africa Medal ( ring suspender)
Queen's South Africa Medal with two clasps, Cape Colony & Orange Free State
King's South Africa Medal with two clasps.

Wazir Khan's I.O.M was awarded for – For conspicuous gallantry in action at the capture & destruction of the stronghold of the Yao Chief Makanjira, on the south-east shore of Lake Nyasa, Central Africa, on the 30th October 1891. .

“They found a yelling crowd of Yaos on the beach & immediately dispersed it by their first shell. Johnson landed with a few Sikhs under the cover from Maguire’s fire from the steamer, but was forced back to the ship with one or two casualties. The next morning Maguire landed in force & after hard fighting in which several Sikhs were wounded, took all Makanjira’s defences & destroyed his town & dhows” (Magor p 137 " Africa General Service Medals")

As an added bonus - I have previously reported on a named photograph in the "Adelaide Reporter" "The Blood Brotherhood of Empire" at www.angloboerwar.com/forum/search?query=...5/2023&childforums=1

Wazir Khan is seated in the middle.

Wazir Khan appears in the 1905 & 1912 Indian Army Lists under 29th Lancers ( the new designation of the 2nd Hyderabad Lancers) as retired. Not in 1915 List so I presume he must have died by then.
Looking for Salutries, Salootries and Veterinary Duffadars.
I collect primarily QSAs to Indian Recipients.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, QSAMIKE, azyeoman, Moranthorse1

The Indian Contingent 1 year 1 month ago #88758

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Grant, azyeoman, Moranthorse1

The Indian Contingent 1 year 1 month ago #89076

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Pictures courtesy of Spink

IGS 1895 (2) Punjab Frontier 1897-98, Tirah 1897-98 (Lieutenant Francis Deane Russell 1st Regiment of Bengal Lancers), officially re-engraved;
QSA (2) Cape Colony, Wittebergen (Lieutenant Francis Deane Russell 1st (The Duke of York's Own) Regt of Bengal Lancers);
China 1900 (0) (Bengal Lancers, Skinners Horse), officially re-engraved;
1914-15 Star (Lt Col F D Russell, 1/Lancers);
British War and Victory Medals (Lt Col);
IGS 1908 (1) Afghanistan N.W.F. 1919 (Lt Col 1/Lncrs);
Delhi Durbar 1911.

Provenance: Spink, April 2003.

Francis Deane Russell was born on 4 July 1873 at London, son of John Thomas Norreys Russell, Barrister, and the great grandson of Francis William Russell, the Liberal MP for Limerick from 1852-71. Young Russell was educated at Reverend Bartholomew's School, Park House, Reading and Winchester College from September 1886-December 1889. He went up to Sandhurst and was commissioned 2nd Lieutenant on 30 August 1893.

He served on the North-West Frontier at Buner and was present at the action at Dargai, and at the capture of the Sampagha Pass, also sharing in the operations in the Bazar Valley from 25-30 December 1897 (Medal & two clasps). Serving in South Africa as a Special Service Officer, Russell qualified for the Q.S.A., one of approximately 55 British Officers in the Indian Army to do so. Major Daniel's Regimental History continues;

'In 1900 a small party was sent with horses for Mounted Infantry to South Africa and remained there on duty throughout the campaign. Captain C. Davis and Lieutenant F. D. Russell also served in South Africa but re-joined the unit in China'.

Skinner's Horse were the first Indian Army unit to be sent to China, making a brilliant charge cutting up the Tartar cavalry, capturing three Standards and some cannons during their march up to Peking. It also made a joint attack with a Cavalry unit of the United States, the first time where forces of India and the United States served together on the battlefield.

Russell married Ina Beatrice Webster, daughter of Rt. Hon. Sir James Parker Deane, Q.C. on 22 August 1909 in London, later leaving for India with Russell's Regiment.

The Regiment was at Meerut when the Great War broke out, part of the 7th (Meerut) Cavalry Brigade, 2nd Indian Cavalry Division. Russell and the Regiment left India for France on 9 December 1914 where they remained until August 1916. Seeing extensive action in many parts of France, the Regiment was richly rewarded with the battle honour 'France and Flanders'. It next went to Mesopotamia as a part of the 7th Meerut Cavalry Brigade Headquarters. Ordered back to India, the Regiment concentrated in Rawalpindi in August 1916 for operations in Afghanistan until 1919. A detachment of the Regiment was tasked to guard the post at Gumboz and hold against the attack by the Marris on 17 February 1918. Russell was thrice 'mentioned' during this period (London Gazette 1 January 1915, 15 June 1916, and 18 May 1920 (Afghanistan), refers).

Appointed Colonel in 1920, he retired in 1922 and died at Black House, West Firle, Lewes, Sussex on 10 July 1936.

His United States Military Order of the Dragon is held by the National Army Museum [NAM1963-11-113, refers].

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Grant, azyeoman, Moranthorse1

The Indian Contingent 1 year 1 month ago #89126

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Spink have now joined two lots into one to re-unite a group they split.

Picture courtesy of Spink

IGS 1895 (2) Punjab Frontier 1897-98, Tirah 1897-98 (Asst. Surgn. J. P. Montgomery I.S.M.D.);
QSA (3) Defence of Ladysmith, Orange Free State, Transvaal (Asst:-Surg: J. P. Montgomery. Ind: S. M. Dept.);
KSA (2) (Asst: Surgn: J. P. Montgomery. Ind: Con: S.A.F.);
1914-15 Star (1Cl. Asst-Sgn. J. P. Montgomery. I.M.D.);
British War and Victory Medals (Lieut. J. P. Montgomery. I.M.D.).
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.930 seconds