Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Release of British Prisoners from Watervaal 10 years 10 months ago #11772

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4511
A good task for a winter's evening will be to transcribe the names so that they can be found from a search of the site/internet.

As a start, I could add a link from the unit pages to the casualty rolls.

Kind regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Release of British Prisoners from Watervaal 10 years 10 months ago #11787

• JustinLDavies
  • Thank you received: 119
David,

Indeed it would be interesting to compare the names with the casualty lists and the medal rolls.

I have a sneaking suspicion that there are many mis-spellings/mistakes in the published lists. There certainly are as far as the 13th Battalion I.Y. is concerned.

Which makes me think that the original lists that were sent from South Africa to the War Office, and then published, must be lurking somewhere in the S.A. telegrams in TNA.

Best,

Justin

Release of British Prisoners from Watervaal 10 years 10 months ago #11792

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451

JustinLDavies wrote: David,

Indeed it would be interesting to compare the names with the casualty lists and the medal rolls.

I have a sneaking suspicion that there are many mis-spellings/mistakes in the published lists. There certainly are as far as the 13th Battalion I.Y. is concerned.

Which makes me think that the original lists that were sent from South Africa to the War Office, and then published, must be lurking somewhere in the S.A. telegrams in TNA.

Best,

Justin

Hello Justin

I have recorded a number of casualties list from The Times and it is swings and roundabouts - extra names, extra details against spelling mistakes, wrong units and in one case Cpt Ernest Rokeby Robinson becomes Cpt Rokeby and Cpt Robinson.

All good stuff.

Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Release of British Prisoners from Watervaal 10 years 10 months ago #11796

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 443
Hi David,Justin & Meurig

I have been doing some checks on the 4th Nooitgedacht List (Times 22 Sept 1900).
Quite a lot of mistakes with mostly names & initials, but also regimental numbers.
Two interesting errors:
*The 12 men listed as from Border Mt Rifles are actually from the Border Horse. Also Tpr J DavidEllott-Fisher refers to Tpr W F Elliot and Tpr J A Fischer who were taken PoW near Hammonia on 28 May 1900
*The 16 men listed as South Australian Bushmen are from New Zealand Mounted Infantry
It seems as if the Conductors listed under Bechuanaland Rifles could be from Julius Weil's Transport : for instance A Preson and J Zjubr are probably A Preston and J Zuhr. The three civilians listed with them eludes me!

In spite of the few errors, the lists are an extremely valuable addition to the available PoW records: thanks again to David for "publishing" them!

Henk

Release of British Prisoners from Watervaal 10 years 10 months ago #11797

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 443
Hi

A Typo mistake in previous submission : Tpr J Elliot-Fisher, without the "David" part

Henk

Release of British Prisoners from Watervaal 10 years 10 months ago #11798

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Henk,
I think there is only one A Preson in one of the volunteer companies and no Zjubr, so would think you are right.
Regards Frank

There was also a J Zuhr who had served in the Colonial Scouts, the same man, perhaps.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.491 seconds