• Page:

TOPIC:

MSMs for the Natal Rebellion 6 years 2 months ago #57305

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4508
There were 12 MSMs for the Natal Rebellion.

Picture courtesy of DNW

QSA (3) CC OFS Tr (1904 Corpl: F. L. Malan. Imp: Lt. Horse);
KSA (1) SA01 (Condr. F. L. Malan. A.S.C.) should also have ‘South Africa 1902’ clasp;
Natal (1) (Sgt: F. L. Malan, Transvaal Mtd. Rifles);
BWM & VM (Sjt. F. L. Malan. 5th S.A.H.);
Natal MSM Ed VII with ‘Natal’ reverse (Sergt. F. L. Malan Trans Mtd Rifles)

Natal MSM. Natal Gazette 10 September 1907.

Sold with a copy of a Natal Government House letter, dated 18th October 1907, addressed to H.E. Sir Henry Hildyard, K.C.B., which states: ‘I take this opportunity of also transmitting for presentation to Farrier Sergeant C. B. Mitchell, T.M.R., a Distinguished Conduct Medal and to Sergeants E. B. Brand and F. L. Malan, T.M.R., Meritorious Service Medals awarded to them for gallant conduct and meritorious service in the suppression of the same rebellion.’
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

MSMs for the Natal Rebellion 6 years 2 months ago #57330

• Arthur R
  • Thank you received: 108
A nice group. Pity whoever mounted it put the MSM in the wrong place, and attached the wrong ribbon to it. Still, that can be corrected.
Regards
Arthur

MSMs for the Natal Rebellion 6 years 2 months ago #57333

• rdarby
  • Thank you received: 119
At the time didn't it take precedence?

MSMs for the Natal Rebellion 6 years 2 months ago #57353

• Arthur R
  • Thank you received: 108

rdarby wrote: At the time didn't it take precedence?

Not according to published tables of precedence of that period, which I've checked. The MSM ranked among the long service medals, after the campaign medals.
Regards
Arthur

MSMs for the Natal Rebellion 6 years 1 month ago #57683

• munroe
  • Thank you received: 48
Dear Arthur

Technically you are correct however..

This group was originally in my collection. I purchased it directly from his granddaughter. The medals came in a Boer War chocolate tin and were all mounted on on a bar for wearing but the ribbons were falling apart. The MSM was on a plain ribbon and was mounted in the front of all the other medals. I too understood that it should be worn at the end of the group and possibly have a ribbon with a stripe down the centre.

A few days later the granddaughter produced a photocopy of a newspaper photo of Barker, Brand and Malan all receiving their awards. It was impossible to see properly if the ribbon had a stripe or not. HOWEVER, she also had a letter from Barker to Malan and although both the letter and picture have since been misplaced after so many years I remember it clearly stating - My Dear Malan.... and he goes onto saying that he is sure that he (Malan) does not know why he received the award but it was for his gallant actions in the forest at Mome Gorge. I remember this clearly as it was a strange way to address a letter. But the fact he mentioned why Malan received it was most interesting because it was not for meritious long service, it was for a specifc event and more so his gallant conduct.

In my opinion, I believe that the Transvaal Mounted Rifles received an allocation of awards, 1 x CMG, 1 x DCM and 1 x MSM, and awarded them accordingly. Therefore because Malan received his MSM for bravery he wore it proudly in front of all his other medals. All the medals were mounted on the bar and show signs of being worn for many years so Malan clearly wore this in the way he thought fit for many years and not according to regulations.

Only because the ribbons were in such poor condition, I decided to remount them in exactly the same order as I had found them. Rod Bickley cleaned and mounted them for me just like we found them.

I trust that this helps explain the order. However, it may open a whole debate about the actual reason that the Natal MSM was awarded and maybe the possibility that the Natal MSM for the 1906 campaign was given as a lower level bravery award.

Kind regards

Munroe
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Arthur R

MSMs for the Natal Rebellion 6 years 1 month ago #57733

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4508
The group sold for £4,000 or R65,000.
Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.459 seconds