Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Imperial War Museum and the Lord Ashcroft VC collection 4 years 11 months ago #63142

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
I was able to visit the IWM yesterday and wander, in some amazement, around the extensive VC and GC collection on the 5th floor. So many acts of bravery that span the history of the award from the Crimea to Afghanistan. The displays are simple are understated with often just the name, a picture and basic details of the award. One cabinet for example contains the VCs to Chard and Jones. There are some interactive displays and memorabilia but these do not distract from the awe of the gallery.

There are many Boer War VCs in the collection including groups I have previously seen elsewhere (for example in the Manchester Regiment collection and the VC CSI DSO group to Maxwell which I last saw at the National Army Museum many years ago).

No pictures were allowed in the gallery. The gallery certainly merits a visit.

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Imperial War Museum and the Lord Ashcroft VC collection 4 years 11 months ago #63146

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
And it's free!

Imperial War Museum and the Lord Ashcroft VC collection 4 years 11 months ago #63149

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Yes, I forgot to mention that!

I also visited the National Army Museum and am just waiting to hear if I can post the images on the site.
Dr David Biggins

Imperial War Museum and the Lord Ashcroft VC collection 4 years 11 months ago #63156

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Good Morning David...…

Is the Chelsea Pensioners Museum still open as I found that their medal collection is / was fantastic...…

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Imperial War Museum and the Lord Ashcroft VC collection 4 years 11 months ago #63157

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
I don't know, Mike. My son and I walked back from the Museum passed the Hospital and we did see a sign to a coffee shop but, not knowing what else was in there, we walked on. We will have to go back now.
Dr David Biggins

Imperial War Museum and the Lord Ashcroft VC collection 4 years 11 months ago #63158

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
David.....

I googled it which I should have done in the first place and yes they are still there and for Frank they are also free..... I found one picture the second frame the one with the sun reflection looks like it has lots of QSA Groups.....

Mike

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.116 seconds