Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Patrick Quirk, an Irish soldier and settler in Natal 4 years 6 months ago #66107

• Brett Hendey
  • Brett Hendey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 717
Patrick Quirk first came to my attention when I was investigating the history of Fort Nottingham in the Midlands of Natal. It had its origins as a military outpost intended to stop stock theft by San (Bushmen), who with the Khoi (Hottentots), were South Africa's 'First Nation', who had been displaced by Bantu settlers who came overland from the the north, and European settlers who came by sea from the south and east.

A list of the men of the founding garrison at Fort Nottingham, and an abbreviated biography of its senior NCO , Sergeant Patrick Quirk, were prepared on framed documents to hang on a wall in the Fort Nottingham Museum. Several months later, one of the medals offered for sale on a DNW Auction was Sergeant Quirk's LS&GC Medal. This has raised hopes that the two other medals awarded to Quirk are still extant, and may one day be reunited with his LS&GC Medal.

Brett

[
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Patrick Quirk, an Irish soldier and settler in Natal 4 years 6 months ago #66108

• Brett Hendey
My apologies! This belongs in the previous post.

Attachments:

Patrick Quirk, an Irish soldier and settler in Natal 4 years 6 months ago #66110

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Gave my heart a little jump Brett as I have a QSA medal in my collection for a Patrick Quirk..... The medal is named Quirke but his papers have it spelled Quirk..... Only he is a Private in the 1st Battalion Connaught Rangers...…

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Patrick Quirk, an Irish soldier and settler in Natal 4 years 6 months ago #66111

• Brett Hendey
Mike
Please keep looking!
One of the many things I have learnt during the past two to three years is that the British army was overrun by Irishmen during Victoria's reign. Without them there would have been no British Empire!
Regards
Brett

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.480 seconds