• Page:

TOPIC:

HMS Hannibal 1 year 8 months ago #85076

• Bemahan
  • Bemahan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello! I have a postcard of HMS Hannibal stuck into an item of Anglo-Boer memorabilia but when I research the 2 HMS Hannibals there have been, I can find nothing concrete about HMS Hannibal being active in the Anglo-Boer War, except a couple of ebay items - pages from the Navy and Army Illustrated 1899 but I can't tell anything for sure from these.
I should be grateful if anyone has any information, thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

HMS Hannibal 1 year 8 months ago #85078

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175
Hello Bemahan
Welcome to the forum
Information from Wikipedia
HMS Hannibal was part of the Channel Fleet apparently.

The keel for HMS Hannibal was laid down at the Pembroke Dock on 1 May 1894. Her completed hull was launched on 28 April 1896. She went into the commissioned reserve upon completion in April 1898. On 10 May 1898 she went into full commission to serve in the Portsmouth division of the Channel Fleet, under the command of Captain Sir Baldwin Wake Walker. She was part of a huge fleet of ships present in the Solent for the passage of the body of Queen Victoria from Cowes to Portsmouth on 2 February 1901. Captain George Augustus Giffard was appointed in command on 10 May 1902, and she was present at the Coronation Fleet Review for King Edward VII on 16 August 1902.
Earlier the same month, two officers and a seaman of the Hannibal drowned while on a fishing excursion outside Berehaven.In September 1902 she was part of a squadron visiting Nauplia and Souda Bay at Crete in the Mediterranean Sea.On 17 October 1903 she collided with and badly damaged her sister ship HMS Prince George off Ferrol, Spain. When a fleet reorganisation led to the Channel Fleet being redesignated the Atlantic Fleet on 1 January 1905, Hannibal became an Atlantic Fleet unit. Hannibal transferred to the new Channel Fleet (formerly the Home Fleet) on 28 February 1905. This service ended on 3 August 1905, when she paid off into reserve at Devonport.

Possible connection to the postcard and ABW ref Queen Victoria?
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bemahan

HMS Hannibal 1 year 8 months ago #85080

• Bemahan
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi! Thank you very much for your reply. Yes, I think the ebay seller is linking Anglo-Boer war and Hannibal information completely erroneously as that's the only online reference I could find linking HMS Hannibal and the Anglo-Boer War!
I think the item I have was probably owned by someone who maybe had personal connections to both. I'll try to attach photos, just so you can see what I'm going on about!
Thank for your help!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F

HMS Hannibal 1 year 8 months ago #85102

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
To me it looks like it has been added to a BW Card.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

HMS Hannibal 1 year 8 months ago #85103

• Bemahan
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Mike
Yes - the postcard is one of the many patriotic 'Britannia Rules The Waves" postcards at the time which were printed with black and white pictures of many different RN vessels. The version stuck in the Silver Leaves souvenir has been cut down, presumably to fit in.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.627 seconds