• Page:

TOPIC:

Royal Artillery use of Rockets in the Boer Wars 3 weeks 6 days ago #94868

• Dominic Hoole
  • Dominic Hoole's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Is there any indication that the Royal Artillery used rockets (not signal rockets) during the first and second Boer Wars? I know they used them in the Zulu War as well as the Sekukuni Campaign in 1879?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Royal Artillery use of Rockets in the Boer Wars 3 weeks 6 days ago #94869

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Dominic Hoole
Welcome to the Forum. While "The History of the Royal Artillery from the Indian Mutiny to the Great War" contains no reference to war rockets being used by the RA after the Zulu War, it does, however, mention that a rocket trough was present with Plumer's Matabele Relief Force and did see some action in August 1897. The trough probably came from Colonial stores as the 1887 Treatise on Ammunition records that the use of war rockets for land and sea was officially discontinued in 1884. except for special purposes at certain sea ports throughout the Empire. As a matter of interest, that Treatise or that of 1897 has much information on the war rockets and the RA History details their use in various campaigns.
Regards
IL.

Royal Artillery use of Rockets in the Boer Wars 3 weeks 6 days ago #94871

• Dominic Hoole
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you for the quick response. i will need to get a copy of the 1887 Treatise on Ammunition as i do not have in my collection. from your reply i am guessing that there the 1887 and 1897 are two different Treaties? are they available on line as eBooks that can be downloaded?

Royal Artillery use of Rockets in the Boer Wars 3 weeks 6 days ago #94872

• Neville_C
  • Thank you received: 1992
The 1887 edition has been reprinted (1998). A quick Google search brings up one copy available for $65 AUD, at Books on War Australia.
Link: Treatise on Ammunition - 1887

Original copies are very expensive (if you can find one).

The 1902 edition is available as an eBook here: Treatise on Ammunition - 1902 (Rockets & Lights, pp. 414 - 436)

Royal Artillery use of Rockets in the Boer Wars 3 weeks 6 days ago #94874

• Dominic Hoole
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
thank you for the response and advice. I will also see if i can find a copy here with the second hand book shops. I live in South Africa and as the National Post Office is in or close to liquidation (yep the National Government owned one!) everything needs to be couriered which makes it unaffordable for us. You can double the price if not more.

Thanks for the download. I will look for this when i get home.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.906 seconds