• David Grant
  • David Grant's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 315
548 Pte. J Dellera
15th Hussars
[/color]

Afghanistan Medal, No Clasp 548 Pte. J Dellera 15th Hussars
Long Service & Good Conduct Medal 548 Pte. J Dellera 15th Hussars

Joseph Dellera was born in the Parish of Walcott, Bath, Somerset. He attested for service in the 15th Hussars at Westminster on 6th September 1860 aged 18 years and giving his civil occupation as a Servant. He re-engaged to complete 21 years at York on 22nd March 1869. Overseas service included India from 13th November 1869 to 25th January 1881; South Africa 26th January 1881 to 3rd January 1882. During the second Afghanistan campaign he served with the regiment in General Phayre’s Division (Medal). He next served in the Transvaal campaign during the 1st Boer War in 1881. Discharged at Shorncliffe 7th February 1882. Intended address, 27 Gertrude Street, Fulham Road, Chelsea, London.

15th Hussars arrived from India on H.M.S. Euphrates. Disembarked at Durban on the 25th January 1881. Immediately they progressed to Newcastle where they were to join the field force. At the infamous battle of the 27th February, the following message was transmitted....

9.30 a.m. Summit of Majuba. Chief of Staff Colonel Stewart to Mount Prospect.
'Send out some rations to post with a troop of 15th Hussars. All very comfortable. Boers wasting ammunition. One man wounded in foot'

(Butler - Life of Colley, p. 387)

From the London Gazette it seems that a "Mounted Squadron—1.field officer, 1 captain, 4 subalterns. Total 6. 12 sergeants, 14 corporals,
2 trumpeters, 85 privates. Total 113. Total officers and men 119. 130 horses" were present. I don't suppose there might be a muster of the 15th Hussars present?

A second question revolves around this.....

Again can anyone cast any light on this ?

The 15th seem to have not had much to do in South Africa as from this .......

........ but at least time was available to compile the roll of the Afghan Medal to the Regiment. 548 Pte. J Dellera appears for a no clasp medal, which if sighted by any member of the forum, I would not mind being alerted to.

ATB

David

The 15th Hussars
Looking for Salutries, Salootries and Veterinary Duffadars.
I collect primarily QSAs to Indian Recipients.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15th Hussars in 1881 South Africa 5 years 7 months ago #60595

• ResearchRescue
  • Thank you received: 101
Hello David

With the regards to the apparent misconduct of the 15th Hussars, The letter in question I think was written by Captain Thurlow of the 60th to Colonel Pemberton, with reference to the two boxes of ammunition . This was taken from The Annals of the King's Royal Rifle Corps Volume IV
Attachments:

15th Hussars in 1881 South Africa 5 years 7 months ago #60600

• David Grant
  • David Grant's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 315
Thanks so much. Must have been the mule incident. Seems extreme to brand the 15th with misconduct for that.
ATB
David
Looking for Salutries, Salootries and Veterinary Duffadars.
I collect primarily QSAs to Indian Recipients.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.745 seconds