Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

2223 Tpr D.Stevens 1st Dragoon Guards KIA Laing's Nek 28 Jan 1881 6 years 7 months ago #55085

• Georgegt351
  • Georgegt351's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 31
I was very fortunate to buy this medal-it should arrive in my letterbox on Monday.
One of the reports I read suggest that he and Sgt Maj Lunney the other 1st Kings Dragoon Guards KIA on this day were buried on the battlefield. I was wondering if their graves were marked in any way.
There appears to be a monument to the 58th Foot which took significant casualties on this day and big piles of stone laying all around..

Does anybody know if there were any newspaper articles published in England about his death as I have no info on him at all except for a mention in the Zulu War medal roll. I have no idea in what area the 1st Dragoons did their recruiting but now a days they have a museum in a castle in Wales.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2223 Tpr D.Stevens 1st Dragoon Guards KIA Laing's Nek 28 Jan 1881 6 years 7 months ago #55090

• Georgegt351
I have since located a copy of the roll and he is a David Stephens on the roll and that is how the medal is named. The reports spell his surname Stevens but I would think the roll would be correct since it was written out by The Kings Dragoon Guards.

2223 Tpr D.Stevens 1st Dragoon Guards KIA Laing's Nek 28 Jan 1881 6 years 7 months ago #55139

• Georgegt351
I now have the medal and it is in superb condition and has an original piece of silk ribbon with it. The original ribbon is much darker than the modern stuff which is very yellow and the thin black stripes lack the delicacy of the original ribbon.

2223 Tpr D.Stevens 1st Dragoon Guards KIA Laing's Nek 28 Jan 1881 6 years 6 months ago #55636

• Georgegt351
I am trying to come up with an enlistment date for Stephens-I am basing my info on other sources-so far I have found Sgt R.Smith who wrote a diary had an enlistment date of 16 May 1874 and his regimental number was 1332- nearly 900 numbers before Stephens. The Victoria Cross winner from this action John Doogan was 1401 which never seems to get a mention anywhere and Sgt Maj J.Lunney killed with Stephens was 875-all courtesy of the roll.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.344 seconds