Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

How to determine if these BSAP medals were actually issued? 5 years 10 months ago #59019

• Georgegt351
  • Thank you received: 31
I have always been interested in this medal and have never owned one in my nearly 50 years of being interested and collecting medals-I have always liked the design aspects of the medal even though the obverse is not the most flattering of Queen Vic. I have spotted a medal withe the Matabele 1893 reverse to a Lieut N McNamara of Raaffs Column can anybody verify this medal as Ancestry has not proved any use to me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How to determine if these BSAP medals were actually issued? 5 years 10 months ago #59022

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
George,
You can download the file (WO100/77) for free from the National Archives.

Raaff's Column are listed on p8 (of the PDF)

BB&M lists 249 men of Raaff's Column receiving the Matabeleland 1893 medal. All 249 men are present in the document but McNamara is not listed. I have been through the names to look for similar spelling and double checked all the Lieutenants. No luck I am afraid.

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Georgegt351

How to determine if these BSAP medals were actually issued? 5 years 10 months ago #59026

• Georgegt351
It was finger trouble on my behalf-the name is actually N.McKenzie

How to determine if these BSAP medals were actually issued? 5 years 10 months ago #59028

• Georgegt351
I have downloaded the roll -thanks for the hint but I cannot find a Lieut N.McKenzie on it as a member of RAAFFS Column so I have lost interest in the medal-thanks once again.

How to determine if these BSAP medals were actually issued? 5 years 10 months ago #59031

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
You should certainly go out and buy an example, perhaps not the one you mention, although, sadly these days it has become necessary to almost seek a mortgage to actually do so, it is certainly one of the most attractive medals ever made, the obverse of Her Majesty is, at least, realistic!

Georgegt351 wrote: I have always been interested in this medal and have never owned one in my nearly 50 years of being interested and collecting medals-I have always liked the design aspects of the medal even though the obverse is not the most flattering of Queen Vic. I have spotted a medal withe the Matabele 1893 reverse to a Lieut N McNamara of Raaffs Column can anybody verify this medal as Ancestry has not proved any use to me.

How to determine if these BSAP medals were actually issued? 5 years 10 months ago #59032

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
George,

There are 2 McNamaras on the roll but neither sound like your man.

Did you have a chance to examine the medal at all? It would be interesting to know about the naming.
Dr David Biggins

Time to create page: 0.471 seconds