The “Racecourse Camp” was sited on Port Elizabeth racecourse, but in March 1901 it moved to higher ground, 3 km NW of the town. It was never part of the main camp system - it was run by the military and never by the civilian administration. There was never a problem with accommodation, rations, or other shortages.
The concentration camp in Port Elizabeth held an average of 230 children and 86 women housed in three corrugated iron huts encircled by a high barbed wire fence. There was also a separate fenced camp for 32 men in tents. The huts were divided into separate rooms, furnished with hospital beds and bedding. Meals were served in a dining room and compared with other camps, food was lavish.
Only 14 people died at this concentration camp during the South African War; 12 of these died October 1900 to July 1901.