Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Can place of enlistment be determined from Scottish Horse Regimental No.? 10 years 10 months ago #11386

• Sims
  • Sims's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I am revisiting my research into the Boer War service of my grand-father.

Having looked at the Nominal Roll data/images listed on this site I find there are two very similar names. I am therfore trying to establish whether it is possible to determine the location of enlistment from the Regimental No.

My grandfather was Ernest George WHEELER and he served in the Scottish Horse (2nd Rgmnt.) From all previous understanding and information from the regiment some years ago he is recorded under Reg. No. 39758 - but the page shows this as a Geo. WHEELER - rank unspecified - part of the contingent sailed from Australia abourd the Brittanic 20 Aug 1901, with a discharge date of 11 Apr 1902 - I think in Johannasburg

Immediately above this entry is another entry - this time for E.G. Wheeler under Reg. No.
36957 - rank 'Trooper' but with no detail of enlistment date and discharge date.

Is there anyone able to point me towards data that would clarify this?

Some years ago information from the Scottish Horse Regimental Museum suggested that the reference under No. 39758 was the one linked to previous service with the 1st West Australian Mounted Infantry - where he was Reg. No. 55, and for which I have the medal.

I have also recently read the book, Southern Cross Scots from which I was trying to extract and relate the actions relating to his time in the regiment.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Can place of enlistment be determined from Scottish Horse Regimental No.? 10 years 10 months ago #11388

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello John and welcome to this forum,
Well, the Scottish Horse seems to be very popular on here, this week!
Okay, I've looked at these two, if you are saying that your grandfather was 39758 E G Wheeler 2nd Regt Scottish Horse, you should take the details shown in WO127/20 to be correct, the other one was in the 1st Regt Scottish Horse.
If both sets of attestation/discharge papers have survived they will be in WO126/122-126 at The National Archives Kew London.
The medal roll entries for 39758, in WO100/292 page 107 (shown here as only as G Wheeler, but, with his subsequent service in the 2nd Scottish Horse shown), WO100/269 page 93 and WO100/364 page 313 (this latter gives a date of the 20th September 1901 for the start of service in the 2nd Scottish Horse) all confirm his prior service in the 1st WAMI with the number 55 from the 26th of November 1899 to the 13th of December 1900, moreover, a very fine pair of medals, with considerable value too.

Incidentally, their comamanding officer, the Marquis of Tullibardine, thought it a good idea to board ships at Cape Town and do a bit of recruiting himself! :woohoo:
Australians were a safe bet and a firm favourite, moreover, they formed the initial cadre of the 2nd Scottish Horse.

Kind regards Frank

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sims

Can place of enlistment be determined from Scottish Horse Regimental No.? 10 years 10 months ago #11391

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
More detail from WO100/364 for 39758 Tpr Wheeler.

Attachments:

Can place of enlistment be determined from Scottish Horse Regimental No.? 10 years 10 months ago #11400

• Sims
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Frank,
I cannot thank you highly enough for your quick response, and the level of detail you have provided.

This will help us in our quest to put together a timeline for his life and movement between Australia and South Africa - and I will certainly dig deeper into the references you have provided on next trip to Kew.

We know E G Wheeler settled in South Africa after the Boer War - he married there in 1904. We are not sure whether he returned to Australia at end of service in 1st W.A.M.I. - or had already decided to live in South Africa - hence the question re Reg. No. being an indication to place of enlistment.

If,as you show, the enlistment date is 20/9/1901, would that correspond to him being part of the contingent leaving on the Brittanic - which left Australia in Aug 1901?
If so I think we can assume he returned to Australia between enlistments.

On the subject of medals, I have just one for the time with the 1st WAMI, with ribbon.
I seem to remember as a child there were some clasps, but not sure which. His medals and other momentoes were came over from to UK from his wife - to my mother - many years ago, and over time have been spread amongst other brothers. I need to check whether anybody still has any loose ends.

Coincidentally he enroled with the 1st WAMI together with his cousin - Charles Dickman, who carried the adjacent Reg. No 54. The link above is to an extract from the Western Mail covering the departure of the contingent.

The Wheelers and Dickmans awere related through marriage - both from English emigrants to Australia in the 1840s/50s

E G Wheeler went on to serve with the SA Heavy Artillery in WW1 - again for which I have some medals and badges.

Once again - Many thanks

John

Can place of enlistment be determined from Scottish Horse Regimental No.? 10 years 10 months ago #11401

• Sims
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Sorry - the link did not appear to get included

[url=http://]http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/33178426/3340266?searchTerm=#pstart3340266[/url]

regards

John

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 2.287 seconds