Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

The greatest Boer and British commanders in the Guerilla War? 11 years 3 months ago #7179

• JustinLDavies
  • JustinLDavies's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 119
Sometime ago there was a thread about the best British column commander but I can't find it.

I was revisiting the guerilla war in the Northern Transvaal and would like to make a provocative comment and ask a question.

The provocative comment is that I rate the long running battle between Colonel Johan Colenbrander and General C.F. Beyers in the Northern Transvaal as the most epic struggle during the guerilla war (I also rate Colenbrander as the finest column commander).

The question is: which commandos did Beyers have with him asides the Zoutspansberg Commando?

Justin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: The greatest Boer and British commanders in the Guerilla War? 11 years 3 months ago #7209

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4507
Justin,

This was the original post about the most successful commander .

As to your question, I will need to go and do some research on that as it is not a period I know very well.

I will be back!

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: The greatest Boer and British commanders in the Guerilla War? 11 years 3 months ago #7213

• JustinLDavies
  • JustinLDavies's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 119
David,

Thanks. The Guerilla War is not studied enough. Embarrassing to the British and overwhelmed for the Boers by the visit to England in 1903, the Union in 1910 etc.

I have a great regard for the bitter enders on both sides.

Wools-Sampson was a great Intelligence Officer but a useless commander. Colenbrander "Johan" or "The White Whirlwind" was the best!

Justin

Re: The greatest Boer and British commanders in the Guerilla War? 11 years 3 months ago #7287

• AnthonyMeme
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
So what are the next plans for war? I guess it is quite interesting..

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.387 seconds