Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Relics from the Battle of Wagon Hill 7 years 3 months ago #51051

• Brett Hendey
  • Brett Hendey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 717
The Battle of Wagon Hill, which took place on 6 January 1900, was one of the most significant in the Natal Campaign, and, had the British not prevailed on that day, the Siege of Ladysmith might have ended very differently. But for the addition of many monuments and graves, the battlefield today is much as it was on the day of the battle. Like Spioenkop, and a few other battle sites in Natal, it has a quality that evokes memories of the dramatic events that took place all along the high ground of Wagon Hill and Caesar's Camp (Platrand to the Boers).

Relics of the battle are now rare and may no longer be collected, but in times gone by before there were such restrictions it was a happy hunting ground for relic collectors. Much was picked up in the 1970's, when a consolidation of graves was done and some new memorials were built. A collector at that time was the late John Parker, who had a passionate interest in the history of Ladysmith and its surroundings during the Boer War. In addition to relics of the war, John had a collection of relevant medals that few others could match. A few years ago, on learning of my interest in the Imperial Light Horse and the Battle of Wagon Hill, he presented me with a few of the items he had picked up in the 1970's. Three of them are shown below, and he described them as follows:
"[The] .303 cartridges and spent 7mm Mauser cartridge case [were] found in the immediate vicinity of the Digby Jones/de Villiers memorials, where the fighting took place which involved, among others, the Imperial Light Horse."
This hand-to-hand action resulted in the award of two posthumous Victoria Crosses - Lieutenant R Digby-Jones (Royal Engineers) and Trooper H Albrecht (Imperial Light Horse).

Brett
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, LinneyI, Mickster

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Relics from the Battle of Wagon Hill 7 years 3 months ago #51054

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4507
A very timely and interesting post. Many thanks Brett.
Dr David Biggins

Relics from the Battle of Wagon Hill 7 years 3 months ago #51058

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1536
Brett
If you can describe the markings (headstamps) on the three rounds you illustrated, we might be able to add more info.
Such items from a nominated battle site are really the most immediate relics one can hope to get!
Regards
IL.

Relics from the Battle of Wagon Hill 7 years 3 months ago #51084

• Brett Hendey
  • Brett Hendey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 717
IL

Thank you for replying. Unfortunately, my poor eyesight coupled with the fact that the three illustrated items are mounted on a board meant that I was unable to decipher their headstamps. However, I do have seven loose.303 cartridge cases collected on Wagon Hill by John Parker. These were unsold items in a local militaria shop and have no precise locations given. The following are their headstamps:
THREE: WO Arrowhead at 12 o'clock; R and L at 11 and 1 respectively; II and C at 5 and 7 respectively.
ONE: GB at 12 o'clock; II and C at 4 and 8 respectively.
ONE: I at 12 o'clock; II and C at 4 and 8 respectively.
TWO: Markings not clear to me.

These cartridge cases spent 70 years getting stained and coated by the sticky red soil on Wagon Hill, so I hope that none of the information given is incorrect and therefore misleading. I could try photographing the headstamps if that would help you.

Regards
Brett

Relics from the Battle of Wagon Hill 7 years 3 months ago #51086

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1536
Brett
Thanks for transcribing the headstamps of the seven cartridge cases collected on Wagon Hill. The cases with the "WO arrowhead" are.303" Ball, Cordite, MK.11 made by Woolwich Arsenal. The case with GB at 12 o'clock is a similar pattern (Cordite Ml.11) made by Greenwood and Batley - a major War office contractor. The case with letter "I" at 12 o'clock was made by a contractor not currently identified (or at least, not known to IL). However, it too is of standard Cordite Ball Mk.11 type.
These rounds I would expect to see issued to soldiers right throughout the campaign. It is really good to know that relics of such immediacy are in safe hands.
Best regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mickster

Relics from the Battle of Wagon Hill 7 years 3 months ago #51091

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Good Morning Everyone.......

Take a look at this thread.......

www.angloboerwar.com/forum/13-miscellany...lar-dum-dum?start=12

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.485 seconds