TOPIC:

Letter from Trooper Chalmers 1899 9 years 4 months ago #23698

• Roy1899
  • Roy1899's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Dec. 12th 1899.

We have been having a good time of it since I wrote from Maitland. We travelled by train to the Orange River, where we camped for four days on sandy soil, blowing all the time, so you may imagine what it was like.

We left Orange River last Thursday morning for Belmont, arrived at Wittiputs, 12:30, which is half way, stayed there about five hours, then marched to a farm not far distant, and had a sleep till 11:30, when we started on one of the worst marches I ever wish to do-pitch dark, sandy road, and full of holes, could go no pace because of the transports, which were driven by niggers, with 10 mules to each wagon.

They kept getting stuck, and having to unload to get on. Before we left the train we had a thunderstorm, the lightning was grand-chain and fork-lighting up the whole Veldt for miles we were the advance guard, and could see the luggage wagons bringing up in the rear quite distinctly.

Arrived at Belmont early in the morning, after taking seven hours to travel 11 miles.
Whilst there we visited the ' battle field ', it does not look much, but how in the world the Boers allowed the English to drive them out I cannot understand. The kopje is steeper and rougher than any I can liken it to, and they were turned out with the point of the bayonet. I got a few relics.

Our Captain came across a dead Boer, and asked for 12 volunteers to bury him, I was one.
We camped there till Sunday morning, when we got orders to match at 6 o'clock for Enslande, and did the distance in six hours, including stoppages and one hour for breakfast, arrived here (Enslande)at 1:30, and had to fall in at once to relieve the Gordons (splendid looking men ), who had to go to the front.

While we were mounting guard up on one of the kopjes (the steepest and hardest climb I have ever had) we could hear firing in the direction of Modder River, and see the flashes of the shells as they burst, but we have had no particulars as to the fight.
I am afraid we shall get no chance of a go in with the Boers, as we hear they are about sick of it, and a lot of them are giving themselves up.

The New South Wales men arrived last night, and camped with us. We have to stay here till we are relieved by other troops, then we move on to relieve the next post, and so on, till we get to the front.

This is only a siding, no stamps procurable, so do not know if you will ever receive this.

(Letter Ends)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.418 seconds