Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

2nd South Wales Borderers skirmishes, actions & battles in the Transvaal 9 years 5 months ago #23258

• 1898's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello,
I am researching my g/grandfather 5954 Pte R Hearse who served in South Africa with the 2nd Bn, South Wales Borderers and was wondering if there is any way to find out if he was part of the post at Modderfontein in January 1901 and what other actions his battalion were involved in after that event.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2nd South Wales Borderers skirmishes, actions & battles in the Transvaal 9 years 5 months ago #23260

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
Hello 1898

I have written a skeleton history of the SWB in the ABW. The only way to prove he was at Modderfontein or any other battle for that matter is if he was a casualty, there is a mention on service papers (rare) or you have a letter from him or a comrade saying he was there (less rare).

After Modderfontein the 2nd bttn was not involved in any great actions.

Regards
Meurig

1898 wrote: Hello,
I am researching my g/grandfather 5954 Pte R Hearse who served in South Africa with the 2nd Bn, South Wales Borderers and was wondering if there is any way to find out if he was part of the post at Modderfontein in January 1901 and what other actions his battalion were involved in after that event.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1898

2nd South Wales Borderers skirmishes, actions & battles in the Transvaal 9 years 5 months ago #23266

• Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Meurig,

Thank you for your reply.

I have read the skeleton history of the SWB in the ABW.

There is no mention of him being a casualty on his service papers either. Although it does have 'C Coy' in handwriting on the top left of the first page on Ancestry.co.uk. Could this be C Company? If so, is there any surviving records of what that company did during the war?

Kind Regards,

2nd South Wales Borderers skirmishes, actions & battles in the Transvaal 9 years 5 months ago #23268

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
Hello 1898

Which history are you referring to? My skeleton history is unpublished and will have far more meat on the bones.

I have often wondered to when in a man's career the company noted on the service papers related to. I would have thought in war time company designations were liable to change to make up for casualties and sickness.

The regimental history (Brecon has a copy) contains numerous references by company, B and F companies were in the Modderfontein relief force.

Regards
Meurig

1898 wrote: Hi Meurig,

Thank you for your reply.

I have read the skeleton history of the SWB in the ABW.

There is no mention of him being a casualty on his service papers either. Although it does have 'C Coy' in handwriting on the top left of the first page on Ancestry.co.uk. Could this be C Company? If so, is there any surviving records of what that company did during the war?

Kind Regards,

Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

2nd South Wales Borderers skirmishes, actions & battles in the Transvaal 9 years 5 months ago #23269

• Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Meurig,

I was referring to the Unit information on this site as I assumed that was what you were referring to... :oops: Is there any chance I could view your skeleton history?

Ah, so there is no definite certainty my g/grandfather remained in C Company right throughout his military service. That's a shame. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction for the Regimental history :)

Kind Regards,

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.418 seconds