Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Edwin Christopher Griffiths 9 years 9 months ago #20853

I've been able to find that my grandfather was discharged in 1902 having 'served his time' with the South African Light Horse regiment. I would be interested in having more information about where he 'served his time' and what happened when he returned to England. He was Trooper no 36423

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Edwin Christopher Griffiths 9 years 9 months ago #20854

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/so...-african-light-horse

Rosemary
The link above will give you some background information on the SALH, which may be of interest to you.
Regards
Brett

Edwin Christopher Griffiths 9 years 9 months ago #20855

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Rosemary
A quick look at my copy of the SALH roll (supplementary) shows "36423 Edward Griffiths" as earning clasps Cape Colony/Orange Free State/Transvaal/SA1901 and SA1902 on his Queens South Africa medal. He would have been a relatively late enlistment for the SALH; nevertheless a crack outfit. The medal roll also notes that his "dated" (or King's Clasps) were not issued until an obscure date in 1924. There is another marginal note that associates him with a unit titled "Warren's Mounted Infantry". I do not have that unit's medal roll. You might be lucky enough to discover further info on his enlistment or discharge papers in the UKNA if the papers still exist. Others on his site may be able to guide you better there.
It would be interesting to know if you have his medal - or what you find out about WMI.
This excellent site (free plug because it deserves it) lists Stirling's "The Colonials in South Africa" amongst it's resources and the book contains entries for both of the abovenemed units.
Good luck
IL.

Edwin Christopher Griffiths 9 years 9 months ago #20857

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Grffiths was discharged, time expired, from the SALH on the 1st of April 1902, after serving as 361 Trooper, Warren's MI, from the 15th of February 1901 to the 19th of July 1901, so the best thing to do now would be a careful look at both WO126/164 and WO126/130-138, respectively, at Kew.
He has two entries in each of the SAMIF medal rolls, both the main and supplementary for his service.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.367 seconds