Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th Regts’ Canadian Mounted Rifles, South African War Part I 9 years 9 months ago #20731

• Spaniard
  • Spaniard's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 3

3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th Regts’ Canadian Mounted Rifles, in the Second South African War Part I

2-3 EDWARD VII., A. 1903 SESSIONAL PAPER No. 35a, p.9.

3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th regiments Canadian mounted rifles. On March 18, 1902, an intimation was received from the Right Honourable tie Secretary of State for the Colonies that while His Majesty's government did not desire to press for further offers of troops, the patriotic offer of New Zealand of an additional 1,000 men had strengthened the hands of His Majesty's government in their efforts to bring the war to an early conclusion, and if the government of the Dominion should wish to offer additional troops, His Majesty's government would gratefully accept reinforcement of 2,000 men, on the same terms and under the same conditions as the 2nd Regiment, Canadian Mounted Rifles, or, if there was difficulty in obtaining mounted men, infantry would be very welcome, owing to the enormous extension of the blockhouse system.

An offer to raise 2,000 mounted men was made on March 25. It was at once accepted, the Right Honourable the Secretary of State for the Colonies conveying the thanks of His Majesty's government for the same on March 29. The recruiting of this number of men and their organization into four regiments, which were designated the 3rd, 4tb, 5th and 6th Regiments Canadian Mounted Rifles, was immediately proceeded with.

(SECOND REPORT)
Head-Quarters, Ottawa, November 10, 1902.
From Major-General
The Right Honourable the Earl of Dundonald, C.V.O., C.B.,
Commanding Canadian Militia.

To the Honourable
Sir Frederick Borden, K.C.M.G.,
Minister of Militia and Defence.

Sir,—I have the honour to submit for your information a further supplementary report on the organization and services of Canadian troops enlisted for the South African War.

The Units reported on are:
2nd Regiment Canadian Mounted Rifles, commanded by Lt.-Col. T. D. B. Evans, C.B.
3rd RCMR, Com., V. A. S. Williams.
4th RCMR, Com., T. L. Boulanger.
5th RCMR, Com., A.C. Macdonell, D.S.O.
6th RCMR, Com., J.D. Irving.

As regards the 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th Regiments, I am sure that you will concur in appreciation of the patriotic spirit of officers and men in tendering their services at a time when they thought there was every chance of their being utilized to the fullest extent. It was not their fault that they had no opportunity of meeting the enemy in the field. There is no doubt, however, that the despatch of these regiments exercised some considerable moral influence on the progress of the peace negotiations.

I have the honour to be, sir.
Your obedient servant,
DUNDONALD, Major-General,
Commanding Canadian Militia.

1903, SESSIONAL PAPER No. 35a, p.67.

3RD, 4TH, 5TH AND 6TH REGIMENTS CANADIAN MOUNTED RIFLES.

Immediately upon the receipt of Mr. Chamberlain's telegram of April 7, 1902, stating that four regiments would be the most convenient organization for the 2,000 men whose service His Majesty's Government had accepted on March 29, steps were taken to recruit. On the following day, April 8, orders were issued. The conditions of service, pay, &c., were identical with those for the 2nd Regiment Canadian Mounted Rifles, excepting that married men were not eligible for enlistment ; the minimum height was 5' 4" instead of 5' ft 5"; the maximum weight 180 pounds instead of 185, and, for the first time, a maximum height was fixed, viz.: 5 ft. 11 inches.

Recruiting commenced in the Eastern Provinces on April 15, and in Manitoba, the North-west Territories, and British Columbia on April 24. Applicants for enlistment were required to undergo the same tests as regards medical fitness, riding and shooting as for enlistment in the 2nd Regiment Canadian Mounted Rifles. While there was no reason to suppose that there would not be, as on all former occasions of recruiting for service in South Africa, more applicants than could be accepted, there was a possibility, in view of the certainty that the war must soon come to an end, that there would not be the same keenness in many places.

Recruiting officers were, accordingly, not restricted to the enlistment of any particular number, but were to continue to recruit until notified to cease. Recruiting was continued in the Eastern Provinces from. April 15 until April 23, at which time 1,268 men of the 1,932 required had been enlisted. As 102 non commissioned officers and men in addition were to be taken from the Permanent Corps, there only remained 562 to complete the total number required, and as the Western Provinces had contributed so many excellent men for the other Contingents, recruiting in the Eastern Provinces was stopped in order that the west might have a fair representation. The men in the west came forward in such numbers that when the result of the second day's recruiting was known, early the morning of the third day, orders were at once sent to cease recruiting, Manitoba, the Territories, and British Columbia each being limited to 25 for the third day. Before these orders were received, 42 men in excess of the total number required had been enlisted. This surplus provided in advance for men who might be discharged for any cause, of whom there were likely to be some out of such a large number of recruits. The numbers recruited at the various stations we’re as follows

British Columbia:—
Victoria. Vancouver. New Westminster. Kamloops. Sicamous. Revelstoke. Golden.
Rossland. Fort Steele. Cranbrook. Nelson. Slocan City. Grand Forks. Total 228 men.

Northwest Territories—
Calgary. Regina. Edmonton. Pincher Creek. Moosomin. Maple Creek. Prince Albert.
Lethbridge. Macleod. Battleford. Yorkton. Total men 191.

Manitoba—
Virden. Brandon. Portage la Prairie. Winnipeg. Morden. Deloraine. Souris.
Carman. Total 185

Ontario—
Windsor. 18, Guelph 62, London 72, Hamilton , 64, Brantford 22,St. Catharines 10,
Toronto 158, Peterboro 51,Port Hope 28, Kingston 22, Ottawa 182, Sault Ste Marie 25
Total men 714.

Quebec—
Montreal 125, Quebec 31, Sherbrooke 18, Total men 174.

New Brunswick—
Fredericton 11, Moncton 20, Newcastle 24, St. John 93, Woodstock 7, Total men 155.

Nova Scotia—
Halifax , 82, Kentville 11, Truro 10, Sydney 29, Springhill 39, Yarmouth 11,
Middleton 6, Total men 188.

Prince Edward Island—
Charlottetown , 33
Permanent Corps 102, Grand Total 1,974.

Commissions.
The names selected for commissions were submitted for the approval of the Right
Honourable the Secretary of State for War, and temporary rank in the Army whilst serving in South Africa was granted as follows:

3rd Regiment, from May 8, 1902.
4th Regt., from May 8, 1902.
5th Regt., from May, 23, 1902.
6th Regt., from May, 17, 1902.

Following is a list of the officers of the four regiments:

3rd REGIMENT.
Lieutenant-Colonel in Command, Major V. A. S. Williams, R.C.D.
Major, 2nd in Com., Capt. D. I. V. Eaton, R.C.F.A.

Captains (according to seniority).
Major W. Henderson, 48th Regt.
Maj. S. A. MacKenzie, 8th Field Battery.
Capt. W. W. Nasmyth, 4Gth Regt.
Capt. E. C. Arnoldi, 2nd Field Battery.
Capt. C. T. Van Straubenzee, R.C.D.

Lieutenants (according to seniority),
Capt. J. H. Staples, 45th Regt.
Capt. Hector Reed, 46th ''
Lieut. F. N. Gibbs, R.O.
Lt. C. G. Barker, 13th Regt.
Lt. Alan Butler, 1st P.W.F.
Lt. C. H. Hill, R.C.R.
Lt. W. R. Kingsford, 2nd Q.O.R.
Lt. A. E. Shaw, 3rd Dragoons.
Lt. B. C. White, Gth Regt., C.A.
Lt. A. H. Tett, Cadet R.M.C.
Lt. V. B. Patterson,
Lt. J. E. Armstrong, late Captain in 9th Field Battery.
Lt. Jesse Carl Biggs, late Lance-Corporal 2nd R.C.R.
Lt. G. S. Sparkes, late a Private Strathcona's Horse.
Lt. V. Vf. Odium, late a Private 2nd R.C.R.
Lt. W. G. Bishop, late a Private R.C.D. (S.S.)

Adjutant: Capt. C. T. Van Straubenzee.
Medical Officer (Surgeon-Captain): Lieut. L. R. Murray, A. M.S.
Veterinary Officer (Veterinary Captain): Major W. J. Neil, 45th Regt.
Quartermaster: (Lieutenant), W. P. Butcher, (W.O.) R.C.R.

4th REGIMENT.
In Command: Lt. -Colonel T. L. Boulanger, 1st Field Battery.
Major, 2nd in Com.: Major F. A. O'Farrell, 87th Regt.

Captains (according to seniority)
Major J. E. G. Boulton, 1st Regt., C.A.
Maj. W. C. Good, 10th Field Battery.
Maj. O. L. Pope, 58th Regt.
Capt. T. Dunning, 62nd Fusiliers.
Capt. U. F. Mackie, D.S.O., C.M.R.

Lieutenants (according to seniority,)
Capt. J. J. F. Winslow, 71st Regt.
Capt. T. W. Lawlor, 12th Field Battery.
Lieut. L. A. Roy, 1st "
Lt. D. B. Papineau, 85th Regt.
Lt. W. A. Cook, 8th R. Rifles.
Lt. G. L. Boulanger, 1st Field Battery.
Lt. W. L. Savage, 15th
Lt. H. Meczler, 74th Regt.
Lt. W. A. Simson, 63rd Regt.
Lt. A Dawson, 61st Regt.
Lome Stewart, late a Sergt., 2nd R.C.R.
C. F. Pooley, late a Sergt., 2nd R.C.R.
W. P. Sully, late Pte. R.C.D. (S.S.)
E. A. Williams, Sergt. 2nd Regt. C.A.
H. A. Dickie, late Roberts' Horse.
H. H. Cameron, late a Bombadier " D " Battery (S.S.)

Adjutant: Capt. E. F. Mackie, D.S.O., CM. II.
Medical Officer (Surgeon-Major): Major C. E. Elliott, A. M.S.
Veterinary Officer ( Veterinary Captain): Veterinary A. D. Harrington.
Quartermaster (Lieutenant): C. Lavie, (W.O.) R.C.G.A

History is not like playing horseshoes where close enough counts; those that have done the proper leg work have a responsibility to insure a detailed accurate account. Canada at War Blog: wp.me/55eja

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th Regts’ Canadian Mounted Rifles, South African War Part I 9 years 9 months ago #20732

• Spaniard

5th REGIMENT.
In Command: Lieut. -Colonel A. G. Macdonell, D.S.O., N.W.M.P.
Major, 2nd in Com.: Major E. A. C. Hosmer, C.M.R.

Captains (according to seniority).
Major C. H. Rogers, 3rd Dragoons,
Captain F. J. Clark, C.M.R.
Lieutenant A. W. Strange, R.O.
Inspector D'Arcy E. Strickland, N.W.M.P.
Inspector F. H. Bagley, (Late Sgt. Major, N.W.M.P.)

Lieutenants {according to seniority.)
Captain T. L. Hartley, 90th Regt.
Lieut. T. Brown, Nelson Rifle Co.
Lt. H. R. Pago, 90tli Regt.
Prov. 2ad Lt. C. B. Worsnop, 6th D. of C. Rifles.
Prov. 2ad Lt. Poynter Standlev, late Lt. 90 th Regt.
Prov. 2ad Lt. H. n. Nash, late a Corp. N.W.M.P.
Prov. 2ad Lt. Lewis Hooper, late S.S.M., Strathcona's Horse.
Prov. 2ad Lt. F. B. Hardy, late a Sergt. N.W.M.P.
Prov. 2ad Lt. A. S. Purves, late a Pte. Strathcona's Horse.
Prov. 2ad Lt. J. C. de Baiinhard, late a Sgt. R.C.D., (S.S.)
Prov. 2ad Lt. J, D. Herriott, late a Corp. R.C.D., (S.S.)
Prov. 2ad Lt. J. F. Crean, late of Robert's Horse.
Prov. 2ad Lt. A. A. Vernon, late a Pte. Strathcona's Horse.
Prov. 2ad Lt. J. H. Irvine, late a Pte. R.C.D., (S.S.)
Prov. 2ad Lt.J. Beresford Sargeant, late a Pte., C.M.R., (S.S.)
Prov. 2ad Lt. C. Tomlinson, late a Pte. 2nd R.G.R.

Adjutant: Inspector D'Arcy E. Strickland, N.W.M.P.
Medical Officer, (Surgeon-Captain.): J. M. Jory.
Veterinary Officer (Veterinary-Captain): A. McMillan.
Quartermaster {Lieutenant),: Charles Raven.

6th REGIMENT.
In Com., Lieut.-Colonel J. D. Irving, D.O.C., M.D. Ko. 9.
Major, 2nd in Com.. Lieut. -Colonel W. D. Gordon, D.O.C., M.D. No 5.

Captains {according to seniority).
Major F. B. Ross, IGth Regt.
Maj. J. M. Caines, 5th F.B., C.A.
Capt. G. B. Motherwell, 2nd Reg., C.A.
Capt. A. S. A. M. Adamson, The G.G.F.G.
Lieut. F. F. Uniacke, R.C.K.

Lieutenant’s {according to seniority).
Capt. W. A. McCrimnion, 7th Regt.
Lieut. Ashley Cooper, R.O.
Lt. J. Gartshore, 1st Hussars.
Lt. E. 0. Bradburn, 14th F.B., C.A.
Lt. D. D. Young, Royal Canadian Dragoons.
Lt. R. A. Carman, 1.5th Regt.
Lt. J. C. Robins, 53rd Regt.
Lt. G. H. Irvine, 4th Hussars.
2nd Lieut. C. O. Beardmore, 10th R.G.
D. F. McKinley, 36th Regt.
Prov. 2nd Lieut. W. F. O. Sullivan, 6th Regt., C. A.
Prov. 2nd Lt. G. A. MacBeth, late Capt. 26th Regt.
Prov. 2nd Lt. P. R. Ternan, late Lieut., 66th Regt.
Prov. 2nd Lt. F. S. Morrison, late a Pte. R.C.D. (S.S.)
Prov. 2nd Lt. W. H. Bell, late a Pte. R.C.D. (S.S.)
Prov. 2nd Lt. B. Holland, late a Pte.

Adjutant: Lieut. F. F. Uniacke, R.C.R.
Medical Officer {Surgeon-Captain.): D.I. Anderson.
Veterinary Officer {Veterinary-Captain): S. Hadwen.
Quartermaster {Lienieuant): Capt. J. Hamilton, 22nd Regt.

History is not like playing horseshoes where close enough counts; those that have done the proper leg work have a responsibility to insure a detailed accurate account. Canada at War Blog: wp.me/55eja
Attachments:

3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th Regts’ Canadian Mounted Rifles, South African War Part I 9 years 9 months ago #20733

• Spaniard

REPORT ON" SERVICE 3rd C.M.R.

From Lieut. Colonel V. A. S. Williams, Commanding 3rd Regiment Canadian Mounted
Rifles, to the Adjutant General at Head Quarters.

Toronto, August 9, 1902.
Sir, I have the honour to make, as officer commanding 3rd Regiment Canadian Mounted Rifles, a general report on the regiment from its organization at Halifax until the date of its disbandment.

ORGANIZATION.
On April 16, 1902, I was ordered to proceed to Halifax N.S., without delay and there to assume command and organize the 3rd Regiment Canadian Mounted Rifles for active service in South Africa.

The men composing this regiment were recruited from Ontario and began to arrive on April 19. With the assistance of my officers, they were at once posted to their several squadrons. I had some difficulty in selecting the non-commissioned officers, as I knew little of the capabilities of the men I had to choose from. I, however, was most fortunate in my selections, and it was not very long before I found that I had under me a very good lot. The organization of the regiment was soon complete, the men coming in from the recruiting points in Ontario in batches of from fifty to seventy-live daily.

Squadron officers were posted as follows:

“A” Squadron:- Capt. Hendereson. Lt. Hili. Kingsford. Armstrong. Odlum.
“B” Sqd: Capt. Mckenzie. Lt. Barker. Tett. Patterson. Biggs.
“C” Sqd: Capt. Nesmyth. Read Gibbs. Shaw.
“D” Sqd: Capt. Arnoldi. Lt. Butler. White. Sparks. Bishop.

TRANSPORT “CESTRAIN.”
On May 8, the regiment embarked on the transport Cestrain for Cape Town. Being the senior officer on board and acting under instructions from head-quarters, I assumed command of the troops on board, which consisted of the 3rd Regiment Canadian Mounted Rifles, and ‘A’ and ‘B’ squadrons of the 4th Regiment, under Major O’Farrel. The men were drilled daily, were passed through a course of musketry in Morris tube practice, and the regulations pertain to transports were thoroughly carried out.

The transport arrived off Cape Town on the evening of May 30. The disembarking officers came onboard on the morning of the May 31, with orders for the transport to sail for Durban without delay. Durban was reached on June 4, when the troops disembarked and went into camp at Lord’s grounds. The weather for two days previous to reaching, Cape Town, and between Cape Town and Durban, was extremely rough.

HEALTH.
The health of the troops was generally very good. The Hospital arrangements onboard the transport were hardly as good as they should have been. The space allotted for the hospital maws not sufficient for the number of men on board.

It is with regret that I have to report the death at sea of the following men: No, 152 Pte. H. Higgins, "B" squadron, who died on the afternoon of May 19, from pneumonia, and No. 132 Pte. J. J. Woodman, "B" squadron, who died on June 3, also from pneumonia. Both these men were excellent soldiers and took a great interest in their work. They were buried at sea with the usual burial service. Surgeon Captain Murray performed his duties to my entire satisfaction and was untiring in his efforts to make the sick comfortable.

DISCIPLINE.
The discipline of the regiment was excellent ; the men were keen and willing to learn their duties , the officers and non-commissioned officers were very painstaking and used a great deal of discretion in handling their men. The majority of the crimes committed by the men were not of a very serious nature; the men who did commit these crimes, which were purely military offences, in most cases never did any soldering before, and did not really know the seriousness of their acts.

DRILL.
The manner in which the men picked up their drill, both at Halifax and after they landed in South Africa, was surprising. The regiment was drilled, after landing, in squadron- and regimental drill, attack and defence of kopjes, and in detached duties. These exercises were carried out to the entire satisfaction of the Major General Commanding, sub-district of Newcastle.

HORSES.
The horses generally were of a very superior quality. Some of those placed on the Cestrian were rather weak and others in poor condition, but as a whole they could not be surpassed. The passage was very rough indeed for two days out from Cape Town, and all the way from there to Durban. The men had to continually stand to the horses' heads, as many as 75 per cent of the horses on board being thrown down by the rocking of the ship. Very many casualties occurred through this, as the weaker horses had not the stamina to stand the severe strain. When the horses reached Durban they were inspected by the Officer Commanding remounts who passed them as among the best that had been landed at Durban during the war. Later they were inspected by the General Officer Commanding, Natal, and by the senior Veterinary Officer at Newcastle, both of whom expressed themselves as well pleased with them and the condition they were in. In Veterinary Captain Neil I had a thoroughly well trained and up to date veterinary officer. He was most attentive to his duties and deserves the greatest praise for his hard work.

SADDLERY.
The saddlery was of the colonial pattern. It did not all reach Halifax in time for me to have it fitted to the horses before sailing. What was fitted I found to be defective for the following reasons:—The panels were stuffed too much and were too hard after the saddle was placed on the horse's back and the man mounted, the saddle was with difficulty kept in its proper place. The girths at first were too short, but the leather tags stretched to such a degree that they were found to be of sufficient length after being some time in use. The leather generally was not so good as it should have been.

WAGONS.
The wagons issued were excellent, and would I am sure have stood any amount of hard work. The transport authorities gave them great praise.

CLOTHING AND EQUIPMENT.
The clothing and equipment as issued to the men were excellent. The underclothing was of a very superior quality; all articles of small kit could not have been improved upon. The khaki clothing was exceedingly good and well made. Th'3 bandoliers were of good pattern and much better than the web pattern that was issued to the 2nd Contingent. A new waist belt of web pattern was issued to the men on arrival in South Africa. It was remarked to me by a staff officer that the Canadian troops were the best clothed and equipped of any troops in the field.

CORONATION PARADE.
The practice for the Coronation parade by all troops at Newcastle, to be held in honour of the Coronation of His Majesty King Edward VII on June 26, brought together Colonial troops from Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Canada, and consisted of about 7,000 mounted men. This did not include the regular forces within that command. The parade was under the command of the General Officer Commanding Natal, who also inspected all these troops on that day. I have much pleasure in stating that the 3rd Regiment acquitted itself to the entire satisfaction of the inspecting officer.

UP COUNTRY.
The regiment was ordered to entrain three days after arrival at Durban for up country, viz, Newcastle. This was carried out satisfactorily, taking four trains for the men and horses. The journey was made without any casualty to men or horses. On June 12 1 was ordered to take over charge of Fort Hay from the officer commanding New Zealanders; this was carried out and the fort was occupied by the. 3rd Regiment and the usual outposts placed. This was a most important position and commanded the entrance to Newcastle from the North side. It was vacated by the regiment on June 28, under orders of the General Officer Commanding, Natal.

INSPECTIONS.
On arrival at Newcastle the regiment was inspected by the Brigadier General Commanding sub-district. This inspection passed off very satisfactorily and the General expressed himself as being very pleased with the men and horses. The General Officer Commanding frequently inspected the camp and expressed himself as well pleased.

RETURN TO CANADA.
On June 30 the regiment left Newcastle en route for Canada. It travelled to Durban in the usual open trucks, arriving there on the evening of July 1. We embarked at once on the Transport Cestrian and reached Halifax on the afternoon of July 29, where all ranks were paid off, given their discharges and sent to their homes.

DETAILS.
Owing to there not being sufficient room on board the Transport returning to Canada, I was ordered to leave behind at Newcastle, eleven officers and seventy non commissioned officers and men, these to remain in South Africa until there was a transport available to take them to Canada. Major Eaton, my second in command, was detailed as the officer to remain in command of this detachment.

REMAINING IN SOUTH AFRICA.
Inducements were held out by the authorities in South Africa to retain some of the men in the country, and permission was granted to officers commanding Canadian regiments to grant discharges to those desiring to remain. None of the men under my command desired to remain, as they had not had the opportunity of seeing the Transvaal or Orange River Colony. I pointed this out to the Assistant Adjutant General Colonial Forces, at Pretoria, and recommended that the regiment be given an opportunity, either by route march or otherwise, of seeing part of the above provinces, but the suggestion was not carried out, and the men not being favourably impressed with the part of the country they had already seen, decided to return to Canada.

CONCLUDING REMARKS.
The conclusion, I wish to mention my 2nd in command, Major Eaton, who gave me every possible assistance. Captain Van Straubenzee, I would specially mention for the very efficient manner in which he performed the duties of adjutant. Lieut. H. Read is also worthy of mention.

The above three officers had already served in South Africa. Lieut. W. P. Butcher made a very satisfactory quartermaster. I would also like to mention, in addition to the names of my staff, those of my squadron commanders—Captains Henderson, Mackenzie, Arnoldi, Nasmyth—who rendered such able assistance, with the officers previously mentioned, in the organization of the regiment. Captain Henderson also performed the duties of musketry instructor to my entire satisfaction, and was most painstaking in teaching the use of the rifle. All of these officers assisted greatly to bring the regiment to the high state of efficiency which has been reported on by the General Officer Commanding, Natal. To the non- commissioned officers the greatest praise must be given for their loyal support and for their untiring efforts to maintain discipline, and to the men for their good behaviour and willingness to perform any duty required of them, I regret one thing—and in stating it am expressing the sentiments of my officers, non-commissioned officers and men—and that is, that the disappointment was great when it was reported, on arriving at Durban, that peace had been declared, and that the regiment would, therefore, not be able to add its name to those of other regiments of previous contingents who had already done such excellent service during the war. I feel convinced that, had an opportunity been given, the 3rd Regiment would have done justice to itself and to the country it represented.

In conclusion, I must state that if I am again honoured with the command of a regiment for active service, I hope it will be my good fortune to have under me such a splendid and superior lot of officers, non-commissioned officers and men.

I have the honour to be, sir, Your obedient servant,
V. A. S. WILLIAMS, lt.-Col.,
Commanding 3rd Regt., G.M.R.

REPORT ON SERVICE OF 4th C.M.R.
From Lieid.-Colonel T. L. Boulanger, Commanding 5th Regiment Canadian Mounted
Rifles, to the AdjutaiU General, at Headquarters, Ottawa.

Halifax, 30th July, 1902.
Sir,—I have the honour to report that in accordance with instructions received from the Honourable the Minister of Militia and Defence, I proceeded to Halifax on April 16, 1902, to organize the 4th Regiment, Canadian Mounted Rifles. The organization was completed on May 6, and the nominal rolls were forwarded to Ottawa.

Squadron Officers were posted as follows:—

"A" Squadron: Capt. J. E. G. Boulton. Lt. J. J. F. Winslow. W. A. Cook. W. A. Simson.
H. A. Dickie.
"B" Sqd: Capt. V. C. Good. Lt. T. W. Lawlor. W. P. Sully. G. F. Pooley. H. Metzler.
"C" Sqd: Capt. O. L. Pope. Lt. V. L. Savage. A. Dawson. E. A. Williams. L. Stewart.
"D" Sqd: Capt. T. Dunning. Lt. L. A. Hoy. G. L. Boulanger. D. B. Papineau.
H. H. Cameron.

"A" and "B" squadrons embarked on the S.S. Cestrian on May 8, under the command of Major O'Farrell. The headquarters and "C" and "D" squadrons embarked on the S.S. Winifredian, on May 17, with the 6th Regiment. The 4th was the only regiment broken up and it was consequently at a great disadvantage. The officers, non-commissioned officers and men were instructed in drills, &c., as far as the limited space on board ship would admit. Lectures were given, special attention, being paid to rifle and firing exercises and morris tube practice. We lost 13 horses during the voyage chiefly from pneumonia, and would have lost more had it not been for the excellent and untiring work of my veterinary officer. Captain A. D. Harrington. We had a number of serious cases of sickness in the ranks but all were pulled through by Surgeon Major Elliott, who was up day and night attending to their many wants, and it was owing to his exertions that we had no losses. I regret very much to report the death of No. 468, Private M. Groto, who was accidentally killed by falling down a hatchway on June 6. The ship reported at Capetown on Sunday, June 8, and received orders to proceed to Durban, where we arrived on the 11th, after experiencing very severe weather. We were landed on the 14th, and again the regiment was split up, part being sent up to Newcastle and part being sent to the Rest camp at Durban with the horses. On June 18, the balance of the regiment and all the horses were sent to Newcastle. Arriving there the horses were detrained and paraded before Brigadier-General Burn-Murdoch who expressed himself well pleased with them. The regiment then came together at Fort Hay camp, Newcastle, for the first time since organization.

At Fort Hay camp, the 3rd. 4th. and 6th. regiments were brigaded together, under Lieut.-Col. Irving of the 6th. regiment. My adjutant, Captain Mackie, D.S.O., was, appointed brigade major. The regiment was paraded, mounted, twice daily to prepare for the Coronation Ceremonial Parade, which was to take place on June 26. On the 25th, orders came that owing to the indisposition of His Majesty, all festivities would be postponed indefinitely.

Orders were also received to turn over to the Ordnance and Remount Departments all arms, equipments, &c, and horses, and to prepare to entrain for Durban. I regret to have to report the death of No. 433, Pte. J. Sterling, who died of pneumonia at Pinetown Bridge hospital, on June 27. On June 30, the regiment was entrained for Durban, being again broken up, this time into three parts. On July 1, we arrived at Durban and embarked on the Leyland Line SS. Cestrian. I consider the accommodation on the SS. Cestrian very bad indeed. The steamer was in a most filthy condition when we embarked, there being on the decks at least inch of grease and filth. The food given both officers and men was of only fair quality and not properly cooked. The flour used to bake bread was musty, and consequently the bread was the same. The first few days of passage we had very rough weather, but after rounding the Cape the weather was fine and it continued so for the rest of the voyage. I beg to draw to your favourable notice the following officers of the regiment:— Captain Mackie, D.S.O., the Adjutant, was untiring in his efforts for the welfare of all. He was Brigade Adjutant at Newcastle when the regiments were brigaded, also acting Ship's Adjutant from Halifax to Durban and from Durban to Halifax, and although his duties were much increased they were always performed in a most satisfactory manner to all. He still performed his regimental work, with the same zeal and ardour. Lieutenants Roy, Boulanger, Dickie, Simson and Dawson were also excellent officers and have been most zealous in carrying out their various duties.

Lieutenant Dickie acted as adjutant of the two squadrons under Major O'Farrell, and Lieutenant Simson as quartermaster, on the SS. Cestrian. They not only performed those extra duties but looked after their own troops and brought them to a very efficient state. I would also bring to your notice Reg. Sergt. Major Gimblett, who has not only performed the duties of Reg. Sergt. Major, but also the duties of Brigade Sergt. Major, and was invaluable in the regiment.

I attach the following nominal rolls:—
Officers.. N.C. O's and men on ss. Cestrian.
Officers, N.C.O's and men left at Newcastle in detail camp.
Officers, N.C.O's and men left in hospital at Newcastle and Durban.
Nominal roll of casualties.
Discharged men.
Also a roll of men who absented themselves on the embarkation of the regiment.

I have the honour to be, sir, Your obedient servant,
T. L. BOULANGER, Lt.-Col.,
Comdg. 4th Regiment C.M.R.

3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th Regts’ Canadian Mounted Rifles, South African War Part I 9 years 9 months ago #20734

• Spaniard
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.243 seconds