• Page:

TOPIC:

George Henry Matthews 10 years 5 days ago #19850

• Shauneen_Washburn
  • Shauneen_Washburn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
My great-great-grandfather,George Henry Matthews, is reported to have been born in Lisburn, County Antrim, Northern Ireland on 25 Dec 1851. At age 17 (around 1868) he went to South Africa and fought in the Basuto War of 1868-1869. The regiment that he was serving in was ordered to go to the assistance of the Boers, who were surrounded at Pretoria by the Sekukunies. At Isandhlwana, George Henry Matthews served under Lord Chelmsford, and later served with the F.A.M.P. at the time of the Jamieson Raid.
During the South African War, he served with the old I.L.H. (Imperial Light Horse) and in the Great War saw service in East Africa with the 12th S.A. Infantry and the 10th Horse.
The above information was obtained from an obituary newspaper cutting entitled: “Mr. G.H. Matthews – Long War Service in South Africa.” He was married to Emmaline Thorne, and he died 8 Aug 1935 (at age 84) in Johannesburg, South Africa. I have found records of his service in the I.L.H. 1st Battalion on this site. (Thank you for your dedicated work!)
Source: www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/so...rse?showall=&start=1
I am trying to trace him back into Ireland:
1. Can anyone tell me the best place to look for Passenger Lists for ships sailing from Ireland to South Africa abt 1868?
2. Is there anyone reading this who links into the Matthews line in County Antrim?
I would love to hear from you. Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

George Henry Matthews 10 years 4 days ago #19857

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Shauneen

Your ancestor had a record of military service in South Africa that was probably second-to-none! He must be a great subject for research.

A small point ............ The Frontier Armed and Mounted Police (FAMP) was a Cape Colony unit that preceded the (Colonial) Cape Mounted Rifles, and it existed between 1855 and 1878. The relevant unit at the time of the Jameson Raid was probably the British South African Police (BSAP).

World War I attestation and sometimes other papers can be copied at the military archives in Pretoria and this can easily be done by a local researcher.

Good luck with your research.

Regards
Brett
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shauneen_Washburn

George Henry Matthews 10 years 4 days ago #19861

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Most, though ceratinly not all, passenger lists are are filed in the Board of Trade section at Kew in BT26/27, many are now available on line too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shauneen_Washburn

George Henry Matthews 9 years 11 months ago #20603

• Shauneen_Washburn
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you so much for that clarification and research suggestion.

The information that I have on him was taken from a newspaper obituary clipping. I am only just starting to try and research him. It will be an exciting adventure, I am sure. My dad, his grandson, was an amazing man! Ordinary in his career accomplishments, but extraordinary as a husband and father. He had a magnificent baritone singing voice, which I believe he inherited from his grandfather, and he looked very much like his grandfather in his last years.

Thanks again!

George Henry Matthews 9 years 11 months ago #20604

• Shauneen_Washburn
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you for this information. I will be sure to check on this.

You have been most helpful!

Shauneen

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.431 seconds