• Page:

TOPIC:

Pte Harry Russell, TMI, killed on Spion Kop 10 years 2 months ago #18218

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
The following information has been supplied by Tim Gray concerning his great uncle, Private George Henry Alan ‘Harry’ Russell who died on Spion Kop.

I am very grateful to Tim for allowing this information to be reproduced here.

Henry Alban 'Harry' Russell was born on the Isle of Wight, 16th June 1878. He died Spioenkop 24 Jan 1900.

He was born 16 June 1878 at Rembrandt House, Sandown, Isle of Wight, the son of one of Britain’s leading early 19th Century artists (Edwin Wensley Russell R.A). 6420 Private Henry Alban 'Harry' Russell, Thorneycroft Mounted Infantry, was Killed in Action in the Battle of Spioenkop, 24 Jan 1900 in a failed and disastrous British attempt to open the route to relieve the siege of Ladysmith. Not a regular soldier, but carrying out duties as a volunteer Medical orderly.

Harry was shot through the temple in the act of handing a message to Col. Thorneycroft advising that he (Thorneycroft) was now in Command.

Some reports indicate that Harry almost fell in to Thorneycroft's arms (Ref: "The Boer War" by Thomas Pakenham). "Buller's campaign", by Julian Symons, described the scene as, "On the left, Crofton found himself similarly unable to maintain an advanced line, and had to retreat to the main trench. It was just after the failure of the charge that Thorneycroft heard of his promotion. An orderly sent by Crofton (who may reasonably have felt aggrieved at being deprived of authority) was killed, but Thorneycroft's orderly officer, Lieutenant Rose, had seen the message. He crawled towards Thorneycroft and shouted: 'Sir Charles Warren has heliographed that you are to take command. You are a General.'"

After school at the Oratory School, Brompton, London, Harry had left for experience and work in South Africa.

He initially arrived in Natal in May 1898 to work on the Natal Goverment Railway at putting down new railroads, and was based at Wessels Nek, near Ladysmith, as part of the war effort.

The last letter from Harry to his mother, Lucy, prior to his death reads:
Hospital Staff
Thorneycroft's Mounted Corps
Jan 8 1900 Natal, SA.

Darling Mother,

You will see by the heading of this letter that I have joined the Staff. You must know that there is nothing whatever to do in Natal now and the Hospital is a (illegible) part of the field.

I can tell you it gives me pleasure to be able to give the poor chaps some relief from their hurts. I was present at the Battle of Colenso and a more wonderful sight I don't think I ever saw. If you have ever been at the Palace and seen the fireworks all going off together it will give you some idea of the flash of the big guns and rifle which was extending for about 15 miles in a half circle. I must say I don't think it was a victory we had a very bad time altogether.

Jan 10th

We are making another move today and I think there will be another big fight in three or four days when we expect to get into Ladysmith. I hope 'we shant be too long'. I am sitting in the shade of a large peach tree and I need not say eaten the fruit which go down a treat I can tell you, today seems like a picnic everything is so peaceful and quiet.

How are you all getting on at home. I hope you got the £3.10 which I sent you last month.

Jan 13th

I have only just time to finish this.

Orders today "Take no notice of a white flag unless the Boers lay down their arms and hold their hands above their heads"

With fondest love to all at home

Your loving son
Harry

(Extract from a letter from Mr Alfred Bradbury formerly of the Engineers Department, Government Railways, Natal, and like Russell, a Thorneycroft Volunteer, to his own mother – a friend of the Russell’s - in England)

Frere,
Jan 29th, 1900.

My dear Mother,

Before this letter can reach you you will have heard that poor Harry Russell is no more. It will be a consolation to his unhappy parents to know that he died bravely. He exhibited a pluck and coolness that could not be excelled by the bravest soldier.- In company with his friend Alfred Shackleton he advanced time after time to succour the wounded amidst a perfect hail of shot and shell.

An Officer called for a man to take a message to Colonel Thorneycroft, Russell at once took the message and was in the act of delivering it when he was shot thro' the temple, he never spoke nor moved afterwards.

He lies in a soldier's grave on Spionkop. He was killed in Wednesday's action. Shackleton was brought in wounded yesterday, when he saw me the poor fellow could not look up, but could only mutter "poor Russell".-

He gave me a full account last night and also brought in a letter (enclosed) which had been sent on to Harry at Springfield.- I suppose it is from his Mother, you will give it to her.-

When Col.Thorneycroft comes in I will speak to him about it (if I can get to see him)
All Thorneycrofts men whom I have seen speak in the highest terms of Harry's coolness and gallantry.-

Yr.affectionate Son
Alfred.

(Extract from a further letter from Alfred Bradbury to his mother on Harry Russell’s demise):

Frere Camp
Feb 14th

Shackleton tells me that when he buried him, he found the Boers had robbed his body of his belt with money in it. He was not maimed at all, a bullet thro' the forehead and he died without a word or groan.- Everyone who saw him on the fatal day speaks most highly of his coolness and bravery.-

He is buried by himself on the top of Spion Kop and I shall make it a duty to see his grave as soon as I can get there; it is within a few miles of Nelthorpe.

I see his name is published as "missing" - it is a mistake.

Poor Harry!
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pte Harry Russell, TMI, killed on Spion Kop 10 years 2 months ago #18227

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
The last letter reported that Harry was still identified as missing. Here is the entry from The Times, dates 2 Feb 1900:

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Pte Harry Russell, TMI, killed on Spion Kop 10 years 2 months ago #18228

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 433
Excellent thread David,

Really enjoyed the read.

Here is a pic of the memorial with his name inscribed.

Regards
Adrian
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Pte Harry Russell, TMI, killed on Spion Kop 10 years 2 months ago #18263

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Thanks to both Tim and David for adding another sad postscript to the Spioenkop saga.

Regards
Brett

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.968 seconds