• Page:

TOPIC:

alexander mckerrow kimberley home guard 10 years 4 months ago #16732

• gloryer
  • gloryer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello I have been searching for a few years now for details of Alexander McKerrow who we thought was in the Blackwatch. I have just been credited with some credits from findmypast and have found a record of an Alexander Mckerrow in the Kimberley home guard. Could this be the same one. I didn't want to waste my credits as it starts to get expensive again. I did a google search to find out what the Kimberley home guard is but didn't find a definite answer but found this site instead. So where would the Kimberley home guard be from is my first question really to establish if there is a possible connection

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

alexander mckerrow kimberley home guard 10 years 4 months ago #16737

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Hello,
And a warm welcome to the forum.
You can read a little about the KTG in the link below, taken from the Unit Information from this site.
www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/to...kimberley-town-guard

Good luck with your further research.
Regards
Paul :)

gloryer wrote: Hello I have been searching for a few years now for details of Alexander McKerrow who we thought was in the Blackwatch. I have just been credited with some credits from findmypast and have found a record of an Alexander Mckerrow in the Kimberley home guard. Could this be the same one. I didn't want to waste my credits as it starts to get expensive again. I did a google search to find out what the Kimberley home guard is but didn't find a definite answer but found this site instead. So where would the Kimberley home guard be from is my first question really to establish if there is a possible connection

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

alexander mckerrow kimberley home guard 10 years 4 months ago #16742

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
There was a Sergt Alexander Mckerrow in the 90th Light Infantry who was discharged in 1875, but, this was not the Black Watch, he could have ended up in the Kimberley Town Guard in 1899, but, what else do you know about him

gloryer wrote: Hello I have been searching for a few years now for details of Alexander McKerrow who we thought was in the Blackwatch. I have just been credited with some credits from findmypast and have found a record of an Alexander Mckerrow in the Kimberley home guard. Could this be the same one. I didn't want to waste my credits as it starts to get expensive again. I did a google search to find out what the Kimberley home guard is but didn't find a definite answer but found this site instead. So where would the Kimberley home guard be from is my first question really to establish if there is a possible connection

alexander mckerrow kimberley home guard 10 years 4 months ago #16748

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4531
Welcome Gloryer.

There is a Pte McKerrow on the roll for the Kimberley Town Guard. The details I have are:

Pte A McKerrow. Kimberley Town Guard
QSA no clasp
Roll states "Repairing gun carriages and carpentering." Served in the Bechuanaland Rebellion 1897 with DFH earning CGHGSM (1) Bech. QSA (1) (officially reimpressed). DNW Apr 06 £150. DNW Sep 06 £110. Chelsea Sep 07 £175

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

alexander mckerrow kimberley home guard 10 years 4 months ago #16749

• gloryer
  • gloryer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
thank you to all that replied so quickly and with lots of info.
My Alexander McKerrow was born14 june 1835 at Douglas in Lanrkshire Scotland died 26 feb 1909. WE know he was in several conflicts as he was awarded medals although not sure where these medals are now. As far as we know he was in the blackwatch and we visited the Blackwatch museum in Perth a few years ago but could not find any trace of his details there.
He was married to Isabella McGregor Lawcock and had 2 children James Dickson McKerrow who became an arts master and Janet McKerrow who was also a teacher but died in 1930.
It was my mums cousin that set out on this quest to find the details but he has since passed away so I am not sure of which conflicts Alexander was in. I believe the indian mutiny, Crimean and boer wars...

alexander mckerrow kimberley home guard 10 years 4 months ago #16751

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4531
Gloryer,

While it is theoretically possible for him to have been involved in the Indian Mutiny, Crimea and Boer War, I don't know of anyone who was. There are just a handful of men involved in the Mutiny and Boer War and the Crimea and the Boer War.

I guess he could have been involved in the first Boer War rather than the 1899 conflict?

You can search the Ancestry index for possible matches (and for free!) which might aid your search.

Good luck!
David
Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.404 seconds