Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Driscolls Scouts and Uitenhage Rifles 11 years 2 months ago #8382

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Rob,
WO126 is not a roll, it is the surviving Attestation and Discharge papers for the SAMIF, it is not on line and as far as I know, there are no plans to digitise it, I do not think this is a bad situation, as I know that once stuff is digitised, the original material is often spirited away, never to be seen again, moreover, the copies can often be very poor when actually done.
There are also other issues, take WO100, the QSA roll in particular, those available on line are sometimes covered folio's, the remarks cannot be seen, the old uncovered folio's are no longer available at Kew, as the digital copies exist, so one is left with no choice but to look at the original, a course of action that is not favoured at Kew!
There are also search engine issues, as to work, they are reliant on transciption and so subject to error and omission.
Regards Frank

robocop wrote: Hi Frank
I meant I have had no luck finding that reference in TNA, I have spent hours searching for that roll on their site, but there appears to be no record of it. Are you able to send me a link that would direct me to the reference you gave me, if you can I would appreciate it.
THanks
Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Driscolls Scouts and Uitenhage Rifles 11 years 2 months ago #8428

• robocop
  • robocop's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Frank
I have located WO 126 for the Driscoll Scouts, as you say it is not digitised so I have ordered the relevent pages from TNA, just awaiting quote. TNA is quite good, I have used them a number of times in the past few years. I also managed to locate other records for the Kimberley Town Guards and downloaded the complete 128MB file, which contained 2 records for my family in that unit. Unfortunately they were medal sheets, so no DOB or next of kin details. Anyway, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. There are quite a number of Boer War records on Ancestry.com as well.
Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.683 seconds