Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

GILBERT:Charles E A (Regt.No. 4317-1KDG). Potchefstroom Rly Station. 11 years 2 months ago #8044

• bruceg
  • bruceg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello - I am seeking info about the town of Potchefstroom in the Transvaal after December 1902.

My father (son of CEA Gilbert 4317 - 1KDG) wrote many years ago about his father, who "Though promoted to Corporal, Dad wanted a change, so bought his discharge for 18 pounds, and for some time he managed the bar on the railway station at Potchefstroom in the Transvaal".

I have Grandad's (GILBERT: CEA) army parchment form no.B.128, which confirms the amount paid at own request, etc. His 'Intended Place of Residence" was shown on his form B128 as "C/o D. R. E Cantonments, Potchefstroom.'

Now; my question to the forum is: Is anyone able to describe the situation in Potchefstroom after December 1902. I do know the town was fought over numerous times, with the British the final winner. Would the Potchefstroom Rly Station have been the end of the line? How could a bar on the railway station have been a viable financial business, etc, etc.

All thoughts, comments, suggestions, etc, most gratefully welcome.

Thanks

Bruce Gilbert
NSW, Australia.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: GILBERT:Charles E A (Regt.No. 4317-1KDG). Potchefstroom Rly Station. 11 years 2 months ago #8045

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
www.nwu.ac.za/

Hi Bruce
If you have not already done so, you could try contacting the university in Potchefstroom (see link above). Someone in their History Department might be able to help or, at least, forward your enquiry to someone who can.

I think a bar at a railway station, or anywhere else in South Africa could hardly fail to be a successful business!

Regards
Brett

Re: GILBERT:Charles E A (Regt.No. 4317-1KDG). Potchefstroom Rly Station. 11 years 2 months ago #8046

• bruceg
  • bruceg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Gidday Brett

Thanks for your input; can you add the link to the uni please.

SORRY - just saw the link. :lol:

I thought that the Potch railway station was, at that point in time in/after the war, probably literally the end of the line, and there was no railway travel beyond Potch, although I found somewhere a reference to a further station (Klerkstop?).

For my grandfather to toss in the army, and pay the army for that honour, he must have seen quid or more in the railway station bar.

Again, thanks. (Don't forget the link ;)

Bruce

Re: GILBERT:Charles E A (Regt.No. 4317-1KDG). Potchefstroom Rly Station. 11 years 2 months ago #8049

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Hi Bruce

The next stop down the line is Klerksdorp - 'dorp' meaning 'town'.

Regards
Brett

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.854 seconds