TOPIC:

Dr. William Robert Mathews 11 years 3 months ago #7722

• JT2013
  • JT2013's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi

I am researching Dr.William Robert Mathews d.1932 Sydney Australia. I have an Obituary for him which states in 1895 he journeyed to South Africa and joined the British South African police as a surgeon captain....he was 5 years with the force. On the outbreak of the Boer War he volunteered for service.

Later, he returned to Australia to practise medicine. He is on a shipping list from Cape Town to Melbourne in 1913.

I am trying to find evidence of either service and have not been successful. I searched internet BSAP websites using his name and rank without success. Also, I have searched Boer War websites also with out success.

The Australian War Memorial online records for the Boer War also have no record.

I am wondering if this situation is not unusual when searching BSAP and Boer War records?

I would welcome any help to solve this mystery or comments. Many thanks.

JT2013

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Dr. William Robert Mathews 11 years 3 months ago #7754

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4531
Hello JT2013 and welcome to the forum!

I have been having a look for E R Matthews on the medal rolls and cannot find him either in the BSAP or as a civil surgeon. The name is not uncommon so I may have missed him on this pass.

Do you think he was still serving with the BSAP in 1899 when the war broke out? I am confused why he would need to volunteer?

If he was there, we should be able to find a record of him.

I will do a little more digging.

Regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: Dr. William Robert Mathews 11 years 3 months ago #7755

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Gentlemen,
I could not see this man in WO100 or indeed in any of the BSA Co medal rolls, there is a W Mathews, but, not of the rank we are looking for.
Regarding any surviving papers, I understand things are a bit of a mess in Harare these days, however, I think I would still speak to the Zimbabwe Medal Society regarding this man.
Regards Frank

Re: Dr. William Robert Mathews 11 years 3 months ago #7756

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4531
JT2013,

I had a look at the BMJ and there is a single mention of him from the Journal of 11 May 1901 which says:

VOLUNTEER MEDICAL STAFF CORPS.
MESSRS. WILLIAM R. MATTHEWS, M.B., and CHARLES E. PRESTON, M.B.,
are appointed Surgeons in the Manchester Companies, May 4th.

There is a separate section on this page for Volunteer Medical Staff Corps in South Africa so I am not sure of this signifies he was not in SA or that he had been in SA and was no back in the UK?

There is no obituary for him in the BMJ sadly.

Regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: Dr. William Robert Mathews 11 years 3 months ago #7768

• JT2013
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Everyone

I am very grateful for your help. I am happy to read an entry for Dr.William Robert Mathews has been found in the Volunteer Medical Corps. What is the BJM? Is it possible to obtain a copy of the entry.

Dr. William Robert Mathews studied medicine in the UK. After the Boer War he stayed on in South Africa to practise medicine. He also married in South Africa and had 3 children there. He returned to Australia in 1913.

The obituary I have for him says he spent 5 years with the BSAP in Rhodesia. So Frank if you have time I would appreciate a follow up with the Zimbabwe Medal Society. Do you think the W.Mathews that you found of lower rank could be mine? The obituary says he joined in 1895. I am not sure why he travelled from Australia to South Africa to join the BSAP.

I am keen to find evidence of enlistment/service in BSAP. Thanks so far everyone for your wonderful help.

Judy

Re: Dr. William Robert Mathews 11 years 2 months ago #8113

• JT2013
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi

Re Dr. William Robert Mathews Volunteer Surgeon

To let you know I contacted TNA Kew and they advise they can't find a file on WRM. Also I contacted Tameside Archives re: Manchester Companies and they don't keep records for individual soldiers. They referred me to TNA.

I am thinking because WRM enlisted in South Africa and remained in South Africa after the war could his file possibly be at the National Archives South Africa? I would appreciate any suggestions on how to begin a search at NASA. Or request a search.

Also I have been reading about the Queens South Africa Clasps. The information mentions twenty six clasps were issued.....or to individuals who served from 11 October 1899 to 31 May 1902. From the date you found in the BMJ from WRM's enlistment, I calculate he would have served less then 18 months so not eligible for some medals. However, maybe eligible for this clasp. I am wondering if his name might be listed amongst the recipients?

Once again I woould be grateful for any help.

Judy

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.412 seconds