• vivienne's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Im new to the forum so no Idea if this is posted in the proper place
Doing family history I found mentioned on a family head stone in Edinburgh
Helen Richardson Nursing Sister 26 Oct 1902 Died Pochefstroom South Africa
Checked her Medal Roll
Looked at the 1901 census for Herbert Hospital, Woolwich where she was and then sent to South Africa she Served in Burgher Camp In guessing this is in Pochefstroom ?
Im also guessing Helen died of sickness ? but an older member of family say she was shot helping get wounded on a cart ( But older family like to exagerate ;)
What would be nice to know is there a memorial to Nurses or grave ?
hope someone can help or a book on this camp ?
thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Princess Christian's Army Nursing Service (Reserve 11 years 6 months ago #6206

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1883
Hello Vivienne.....

I have looked in Sheila Grey's book on the Service Records of Military and Civilian Nurses and I am sorry but I could not find a Helen Richardson.....

You will note that the date 26/10/02 is long after the war has ended....

There are several Richardson's listed with the initials, "A.I.", "E", "M.E." and "M.P."

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Re: Princess Christian's Army Nursing Service (Reserve 11 years 6 months ago #6214

• vivienne
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Sorry i put in the type of Nurse she was while in Edinburgh
This is the right information Joined QAIMNS: Military Career: WW1 Service: References: WO 100/225 QSA Medal Roll p213 created at Scottish National Red Cross Hospital, Glasgow; dated May 2, 1901
War Office (1900) Nominal Roll of Princess Christian's Army Nursing Service (Reserve) as at 30th September

Re: Princess Christian's Army Nursing Service (Reserve 11 years 6 months ago #6215

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Good morning Vivienne,
I'm rather confused as to any WW1 service if she had died in South Africa in 1902.
The British Army of 1902 were not in the habit of shooting their own nurses, so I would think she had died of illness, though, it might have been an accident if she was indeed shot!
She would not be in the published casualty roll because of the date being after the end of the war.
Regards Frank

vivienne wrote: Sorry i put in the type of Nurse she was while in Edinburgh
This is the right information Joined QAIMNS: Military Career: WW1 Service: References: WO 100/225 QSA Medal Roll p213 created at Scottish National Red Cross Hospital, Glasgow; dated May 2, 1901
War Office (1900) Nominal Roll of Princess Christian's Army Nursing Service (Reserve) as at 30th September

Re: Princess Christian's Army Nursing Service (Reserve 11 years 6 months ago #6216

• vivienne
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Frank
My apologies I copied all the headings not realising WW1 was empty but still showed up on record.
and all the references that are mentioned
I found this information from Nurses Database
Nurses in the Boer War plus Her Medal Record said she was awarded Orange Free State and Cape Colony Medals

I'm more to believe that she died of illness as there is no death certificate. On looking at timelines Boer War started 1880 and a peace accord signed 1881, then in 1900 war broke out again ending in 1902.

Re: Princess Christian's Army Nursing Service (Reserve 11 years 6 months ago #6220

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Good afternoon Vivienne,
Yes, I would think she died of illness contracted in the camp, the 1880-81 Transvaal war/1st Boer War was a very different campaign than the Anglo Boer War that she was involved in, with a very different result!
I've looked at the medal roll in WO100 and it just says that she remained in South Africa in the paid service of the government.
There are papers at the TNA Kew that relate to the camps, but, I have only looked at papers from the Colonial Office and War Office files in relation to POW's and not refugee's.
Regards Frank
The following user(s) said Thank You: vivienne

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.449 seconds