TOPIC:

QSA Medal - Help with identification please 11 years 6 months ago #5981

• Wendy
  • Wendy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi

My father has just found a QSA medal amongst his father's belongings. It's come as a bit of a surprise because he didn't realise anyone in the family had been involved with the Boer War, now he desperately wants to find out a bit more.

He suspects the medal belonged to his grandfather (William Jeffs), the inscription is: Pte W Jeffs / 9106 and it has two claps: Cape Colony and Relief of Ladysmith.

Can anyone help point us in the right direction to find out more information e.g. battalion etc?

Many thanks for your help

Wendy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: QSA Medal - Help with identification please 11 years 6 months ago #5982

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Hello Wendy,
And a warm welcome to the forum.
Had a quick look on Ancestry and found a 9106 W.J. Jeffs in the medal rolls.
He served with the 3rd Battalion Rifle Brigade and his clasps are confirmed as Cape Colony and Relief of Ladysmith.
Hope this helps.

Paul :)

Wendy wrote: Hi

My father has just found a QSA medal amongst his father's belongings. It's come as a bit of a surprise because he didn't realise anyone in the family had been involved with the Boer War, now he desperately wants to find out a bit more.

He suspects the medal belonged to his grandfather (William Jeffs), the inscription is: Pte W Jeffs / 9106 and it has two claps: Cape Colony and Relief of Ladysmith.

Can anyone help point us in the right direction to find out more information e.g. battalion etc?

Wendy

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Re: QSA Medal - Help with identification please 11 years 6 months ago #5983

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Hello again Wendy,
There is 4 pages of service history on Find my Past for William Joseph Jeffs
He was born in Tamworth 1873 and attested 20th August 1895
His occupation is listed as Groom
His period of service in South Africa was 192 days.

Paul :)

Wendy wrote: Hi

Wendy

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Re: QSA Medal - Help with identification please 11 years 6 months ago #5985

• Wendy
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Paul

Thanks for the welcome and for getting back to me so quickly.
That's great news. The dates fit in with my great grandfather. I better get over to findmypast and take a look.

Best regards and thanks again!

Wendy

Re: QSA Medal - Help with identification please 11 years 6 months ago #5991

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Wendy

The medal has an unusual clasp combination that suggests an interrupted service, as do the number of days spent in South Africa. There may be an interesting story behind these facts, so the military service of your ggf is well worth pursuing.

Regards
Brett
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wendy

Re: QSA Medal - Help with identification please 11 years 6 months ago #5998

• Wendy
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi

Thanks again for everyone's help. Just one more thing, does anyone have any pointers about how to find out more details about my great grandfather's military life?

I have the service record from FindMyPast but how do I find out what he was doing for the years he spent at "home" before he went to South Africa? (he attested in 1895) is there any way to find out what he was doing and where he was stationed in the UK?

Many thanks once again.

Wendy

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.399 seconds